SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know of a good place to find stats on the usage of various browser versions? I.E., how many people still use IE 3.0 or Netscape 3.0? How many people surf with Web TV?
    As web developers, how many of you out there still develop to the lowest common denominator, particularly browser versions 3.0 and lower? Thanks for your feedback.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found http://www.thecounter.com/stats/ from TheCounter helpful because StatMarket is now asking for lotsa cash, like $1000 for a year or so to see HitBox stats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by bradster:
    As web developers, how many of you out there still develop to the lowest common denominator, particularly browser versions 3.0 and lower? Thanks for your feedback.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't really...I usually design for 4.0 or higher...It's usually my feeling that it's worth leaving a few people behind if it means offering the high majority of my visitors a better website. Why on earth would someone be using a 3.0 browser anyway? UGH!

I'm the same about the 800x600 resolution and HTML newsletters...FORWARD, I say! I don't stick all kinds of DHTML or anything on my site, but I definetly make assumptions when designing some of my sites...IE: for one I'm doing now, I'm assuming my average/target visitor will have a modem of 56K or faster, will either IE 4/5 or NS 4.7/6, and will have a screen size of 800x600 or higher.

We all have to make assumptions, the only questions these days concern which older technologies you want to leave behind to provide the majority of your visitors with a better site.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Under Construction!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,

I'm just the opposite. I like to utilize all of those neat technologies, but most of the sites I design have to be geared toward the lowest common denominator. You're right though, it's good to understand your target audience ahead of time.

Mike

------------------
    Street Bikers United - protecting the rights of motorcyclists worldwide.
    Cosmic Custom Airbrush - Hawaii's premier airbrush studio.
    New Life Community Church - Your Christian online community

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm,

It really depends on what type of site I am developing and if the client is willing to pay for that sort of support. In general however if this site is to be a business site I do support the 3.0 browsers simply because a sale, any sale no matter what browser it comes from is a plus.

If the site is not a business site but just for fun then I don't bother supporting 3.0 browsers or if the site is a informational site geared towards the latest on the web.

Something I do for all my sites is that if the site is being redeveloped (usually once per year) than I set up the site to show last year's site for last year's browser. In other words, 3.0 browsers see last year site that I designed however 4.0 browsers see this year's site.

I always include a recommendation to upgrade the browser if the browser is not up to par.