SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning PHP with other database (Access, Oracle, etc)

I'm in the process of learning PHP and it's going pretty well. I already have experience with languages like C so I find the transition fairly natural.

However, for a project I have to do over this year I am unable to use a MySQL database to create a website. I've been restricted to Access which is a kick in the teeth for me because I've heard nothing but bad things when working with PHP and Access. I'm hoping to get it changed to Oracle.

For a relative PHP newbie, how hard do you think it'll be to get into using PHP and Access or PHP and Oracle, considering next to every help I can find on the Internet is centred on PHP and MySQL?

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you use a database adstration system, its fairly simple.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main differances will just be querying the database and if the project is going to last a year, you'll get used to it rather quickly If you use a program for creating the database and managing then things shouldnt be to painful for you

All this being said, i only use MySQL, lol
    "Am I the only one doing ASP.NET in Delphi(Pascal)?"

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help. I was pretty worried about querying to the database because me and my lecturer decided to give it a whirl, wrote some code out that I found from the Internet, and we got nothing after about two hours of trying. It seems to me that Access and PHP is like mixing cod and ice cream. I'm doing a unit in Oracle this year, but I haven't touched it before. It does sound interesting though and I'd like to give Oracle a whirl with PHP instead of Access.