User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Backbone" Script installation

Hey everyone,

I'm currently having a php script developed, it is a website development tool. Now, I am looking to install this script on all my sites, including new sites that I will register regularly.

I currently have a reseller (cpanel) hosting account. I am looking to use this script as the "backbone" so that every domain on this account has the script installed by default.

Is this possible? I was told to use the "skeleton" function in cpanel - but that talks about uploading a html page that will be the default page on every domain. Does that apply to scripts as well?

Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Martin

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pavlovmb
    Hey everyone,

Is this possible? I was told to use the "skeleton" function in cpanel - but that talks about uploading a html page that will be the default page on every domain. Does that apply to scripts as well?

Martin
    what "skeleton" function in cpanel does is it simply copies all files from skelton folder to new accounts folder when you create new web site using create account option. If you to provide that script to your customers by default then upload scripts in skeleton folder.

well, if you also want it to install on existing domains then you have to upload them one by one on all accounts.
    cphosting.com - Web Hosting Experts since 1998.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks -- but I'm not sure I get it entirely. If I upload the script in the skeleton folder then does that only mean that it is available on new domains for installation or can it be functional by default on new domains?

I need the script to be functional on new domains when they are registered and setup on the reseller account. If that is not the purpose of the skeleton directory I assume there is another way to do this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It means it's only available for newly created accounts as the skel files are copied over to NEW accounts.

If you need to add it your current domains you will have to do something like,

Create usernames.txt with a list of usernames (on new lines) , and you want to copy /home/myscript/* to /home/user/public_html, something along these lines

for x in `cat usernames.txt`;do cp -Rf /home/myscript/* /home/$x/public_html/;done
    Linux Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Is your website Sluggish? Unavailable? Insecure?

Why not call us? +44 0141 2800134

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that will be helpful when installing the script on my current domains.

But the real issue is primarily with new domains: When the script is installed in the skeleton folder, will/can it be fully functional by default or will it merely be available for installation on new domains by default?

Forgive me for being a bit technically challenged, I am not actually going to perform the installation myself