SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I created a web site using FrontPage. By default, the filename extension of all the pages in the web site is "htm". The filename of my home page is "index.htm". However, when I put my web site onto the server, it doesn't work, since my server can only recognize "index.html" as the home page of the site. I attempted to rename the file "index.htm" as "index.html" in FrontPage, but I got the warning message "If you change a filename extension, the file may become unusuable." What can I do to about this? Thank you.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ignore FrontPage. I used to change the file names all the time and it never mattered.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had exactly the same problem last weekend. I was using CuteHTML as my editor and it defaults to .htm extensions whenever I save my source code. Well, what do you know ..... after FTPing the files up onto the server, all the links are unstable because of the inconsistency of the file extensions with the server protocols.

I went ahead and changed the extensions to .html and everything works fine now. So, as wluke mentioned, ignore the warning because you already know that .htm doesn't work, what other options do you have ..... only 1 - "Change the extensions to .html"

psycho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter but some free hosts (geocities etc) only display .html as the root file. (ie your main page must be index.html).

Why the hell does FP do that anyway? What is the point of them programming it like that?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason FrontPage warns you is because if you change the extension to a non web one, you might have problems. But changing between .htm and .html are both exactly the same format, so it won't make a difference.

------------------
    http://redrival.com/trcfreebies/
    Get more hits, for free!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point of them programming it like that is that by default Windows Command Line utilities still use the 8.3 filename convention. Its called backwards compatibilty. Windows still uses 3 letter extensions. You can always go into Explorer and choose options off the view menu and change the extension for HTML documents from just *.htm to *.htm;*.html and the "problem" should go away. Internet Explorer 5.01 makes these changes for you as well.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com