SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what do you guys think of a 1.5mb portfolio in pdf?

I think I got carried away in putting up a new set of portfolio in pdf and the size goes up to 1.5mb (35 pages). I am already very selective of which case studies to use for my portfolio and I'm very reluctant to take out the already chosen one as much time is spent on writing the objectives and solutions provided for each case study and much time is spent on designing layout and concepts

I have put up a decent online portfolio but I realised the hits aren't impressive as for some unexplainable reason, people prefer to habitually open emails attachments than clicking that hyperlink to go to your online site.

Now my question is, will you grumble if you were to receive a 39 pages of a total 1.5mb in size?
    10 Your Exclusive Template Hunt
    http://www.coderdesigner.com

.* draziW tnioPetiS *. bronze trophy
    "Then I figure the most good good guy will win."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not an employer... but I do not think 1.5mb email attachment is bad.

35 pages? That is a bit to click through though. Seems like most articles/books/peers have recommended approx 10 - 15 of your top pieces... but it sounds like you got some good work to show.

For me, in the past, it has helped to have several of my buds look-over my work and tell me which ones they thought were really good... I tend to be biased when it comes to my own work.

Good question.
    Looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    35 pages is way too much. Personally, I would create several portfolios, each one targeted to a specific area. So if someone is enquiring about an ecommerce site, send them the ecommere portfolio. You could even make each portfolio industry specific, rather than having a bunch of sites your prospect can't relate to.

I'd keep each one to a max of 2, very well written case studies.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm promoting few services and present 5 case studies for each service that showcase different solutions provided for different problems.

I'm confident to say that the pages layout is asethetically pleasing enough and the case studies are not eye soaring to read.

This is what I have done.. I have each case study nicely spread out in 1 page.

5 case studies for website design and development - 5 pages
    5 case studies for print design - 5 pages
    5 case studies for multimedia presentation and flash animation - 5 pages
    5 case studies for icons - 5 pages
    5 case studies for e-commerce applications - 5 pages
    5 case studies for character building - 5 pages
    And 5 pages for corporate info that includes key services, clientele, profile and contact information.

What if I narrow down to 3 case studies to each service and that will reduced the total pages by 10.

or if I could asethetically present two case studies within a page, and that will reduce the pages to less than 20.

I was thinking if the size is acceptable, will the number of pages be a concern? What do you think of this either approach?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I think the number of pages could be an issue. What is more an issue is relevancy - how many prospects are going to be interested in the whole package of website design and development, print design, multimedia presentation and flash animation, icons, e-commerce applications and character building?

Sure, some will, but I think you'd be better off first talking to them and assessing what it is they are looking for from you. If after talking to a company about developing a new shopping cart for me, they then sent me a 35 page PDF talking about character building and Flash animation, I'd rapidly lose interest and be concerned that they weren't listening to me and my concerns.

Much better to send people only the stuff that is relevant to their needs. If you do find a company wanting the whole lot (including character building, never met a web company offering that...), then you could send them the full version.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I do have a separate piece if my prospects are for individual corporate clients but this particular pdf portfolio I'm working on is targeting towards advertising agencies who outsource their projects and I believe by showing a varieties of portfolio will benefit.

btw, I can't speak of the US and UK market but there is a market for character building for animations and demo reels from where I am.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coderdesigner
    Yes, I do have a separate piece if my prospects are for individual corporate clients but this particular pdf portfolio I'm working on is targeting towards advertising agencies who outsource their projects and I believe by showing a varieties of portfolio will benefit.

btw, I can't speak of the US and UK market but there is a market for character building for animations and demo reels from where I am.
    Sorry, by character building I thought you meant some kind of life coaching to help people build their strength of character

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! no no... definitely not the "character building" you have in mind.