User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gmail on your domain

Ok,

I can't remember what thread I was reading earlier but I decided to look into the services at http://www.google.com/a.

I've set up the email service on my domain net-developer.co.uk.

Brilliant!

Has anyone else installed any of these services? What are your thoughts?

Adam

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have got it on a student site for my university I'm developing and should be rolling out soon. It is pretty easy to do basic customisation such as adding your logo and colour scheme but as the service isn't live yet it hasn't had a true live testing from me

-Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks interesting. I'm playing the devil's advocate here, but what if later down the track, google, wanted a fee for this service, who has control over the database?

Dalt

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dalt
    Looks interesting. I'm playing the devil's advocate here, but what if later down the track, google, wanted a fee for this service, who has control over the database?

Dalt
    If google starts charging and you don't want to pay, you can:

- Download all the mail in hosted Gmail through POP, then change your MX record back to your own mail servers
    - Copy your calendar over to your own server and start using WebDAV to manage it yourself
    - Get your own Jabber server software to keep running the Google Talk equivalent, or use one other than Google's because there are tons out there.
    - Build your own webpages and host them on your webspace.

Google's not doing anything that you or a company can't do yourself; they just put a nicer coat of polish on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Vgarcia,

Thank you for that information. I have been looking at adding an email service to several of my portals and this looks like an excellent option.

Regards,

Dalt

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use it for my personal domain, and I love it.

If you like gmail then it's great, if you don't you probably won't think it's all that great.

As for the TOS, google states somewhere that people who have accounts and still want to use the service once they start charging, will be allowed to do so at the same cost. Don't hold me to this though, as I haven't looked at the TOS in a while.

Ari

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have several (or many) users set up using their features and they start charging there are two choices.

1) Use the options vgarcia mentioned, this could mean you having to move hosts and give you hours of work (depending on how many users you've created - does anyone know if there is a limit?).
    2) I don't think Google are thieves, I think the service would be affordable and hassle-free

Adam