SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copyright violation

Our website has been completely copied by the owner of the .com holder. We have liquidpoker.net and this dude has liquidpoker.com . We have a fairly big poker community so he gets some traffic from people that want to go to our site but type .com instead. We've tried to buy the domain before but he claimed he made 10k / month alone of it, which sounds like nonsense to me. He wanted to have 150k for the domain...

But now he just copied our complete layout and made every link on his site a referral link.

What can we do about this?

I will email him first but I seriously doubt this will have any effect..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact a lawyer.

Not only is he violating your copyright, he's also misrepresenting your company. It's illegal to obtain a domain name that's similar to a trademark or an individual's name and use it to steal customers (in other words, using the domain name for a similar business).

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the design, yep, send a letter to his hosts, startupconsultants.com (Florida) - get the site pulled. Also file a DMCA with all US search engines. Then think about legal action.

As for the domain, well, he registered his in 2003, you registered in 2005, so best of luck on that one.

As for trademarks, I can't see any indication that liquidpoker is a registered trademark, so you'd have to speak to your lawyer about what exactly you can do about that.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I agree with shadowbox.

File the DMCA and contact his webhost. In my experience, if you can prove that your site was up first and is in violation of your copyright, especially in cases where every element is copied, the host will pull the copy-cat within 24 hours though, there is little preventing him from getting hosting from another provider.

Also, since his domain was registered first, providing proof of who was first may be more difficult. If you believe you have a provable case, contact a lawyer and proceed from there.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use archive.org to prove that they have copied your design and are using an identical css file. File a DCMA and contact his host, revenue sources and search engines.
    I suspect at best you will get him to change his css but he will keep his content. This is one of the dangers of creating a site around a .net when the .com already exists.