SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adwords dropped like a rock

Yesterday(november 21), my adwords went from a steady 2 month rate of over $100 a day to less then $20. I changed nothing at all. All my campains have dropped except 1, which is still at the same rate it has always been. All my other campains have gone to pennies.

What happened? Any advice on fixing this? Please help, I really need to get adwords back to normal!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean Adsense?

If your Adwords COST went from $100 a day to less than $20 I'd say that's not all bad if a decent revenue is still being achieved ... but like I said, I'm guessing you mean Adsense.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you changed nothing, I guess your ads aren't dispayed as much as before because more people pay more for the same keywords. In that case, you'd have to change your higher bid, so the ads are more likely to be shown. You can check the average positions of your ads by keyword in your AdWords account.

But you'll have to weigh the (higher) cost of your ads against the profits generated from them, obviously.

Hope that helps,

MichaŽl
    MichaŽl Niessen
    http://assemblysys.com
    (Countries/states/cities with latitude & longitude,
    weathercodes & topical databases)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I am talking about adwords. Yes, adsense has also dropped significantly because of adwords, so I am hoping that if adwords goes up again, adsense will too.

Mniessen, the ad posistioning is the same. I advertise for a couple totally different categories, so the only way you could be right is if all of a sudden tons of people decided to increase their bids OVERNIGHT on all of my categories(except one)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can try site-targeted ads if you don't think you're spending enough.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol... not helping. First, I am doing site-targeting anyways. Second, my question isn't how to spend more. It is- Why did my daily adverting drop so fast overnight?(So that I can fix it)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you are talking about Adwords, then my question is why you want to fix it? Justs because you're spending went down doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Take a look at your searches and impressions, look at your CTR and (most importantly) look at your ROI. There are many factors that could be causing the reduction. First, it could be that the volume of searches may not have been there ... maybe people are travelling for the holiday or busy preparing for a family gettogether? If your impressions are down and your CTR is still the same, then it's really not something that you can fix (besides trying to optimize your ads to get higher than you did before).

The critical question is how is your ROI affected? Do you sell products with your AdWords account? Has your quantity and quality of orders reduced? If your spending went down but your orders were about the same, then that's actually a plus! If you're getting less orders but you're also spending less (thus creating a higher ROI for each term) then that is also good!

It's really hard to say without knowing more of what you're using AdWords for and how the ads produced in the past and how they are producing after the cost going down. But one word of advice ... DON'T judge anything based off of one day. You need to see if there is a pattern that needs to be changed. Just because yesterday it was down $80 yesterday doesn't mean that it will happen tomorrow. Fluxuations will happen in every industry, if you're in the U.S. then it could be the holiday. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it but keep tracking your results and see if something needs to be done next week.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ROI is pretty much the same(maybe a little higher). But, my profits are still way lower than before. In percentage wise, I believe that a 7000%+ drop does not happen in "every industry" or that matter matter, I think only a few would have that kind of a drop. I'll see what it's like tommorrow. Maybe it is thanksgiving, I doubt it though.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he's saying that his clicks and impressions have dropped like a rock.

That would be a problem but there's not much way for us to tell why without direct access to your account.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be lots of other advertisers are pausing their campaigns due to the Thanksgiving holiday in the US. Sales might go down too because people are cooking
    Experts say 97% of people get goal setting wrong.
    Here's how to get it right!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, 7400% of my visitors all had a meeting and decided they should all stop viewing my site at the same time

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I just got the answer back from adwords.

"We have recently updated your Quality
    Score
    which is why you see this decrease in impressions even though you have
    not
    recently made changes to your account."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theicfire
    Sure, 7400% of my visitors all had a meeting and decided they should all stop viewing my site at the same time
    I just read your message and decided to adjourn the meeting early. Your clickthroughs should go back to normal now.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adwords ****. I've tried it for several projects, but I've never got any feedback from users who clicked on my ad. I think there are too many click frauds.
    FileSpice.com - Spice Up Your Files With Rich Media Content And Web Pages

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you'll ever get feedback from users who click ads. I read a report just yesterday that says if you poll visitors to a site, 99% + couldn't tell you how they got there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7000% drop , how is that possible? The max. you could have lost was 100% of your traffic, calm down my friend

I think Adwords staff reviewed his campaigns and dropped most of his ads. It's pretty common. Maybe you should email Google to know. Have you got your ads disabled? Do you still get impressions/clicks on the campaigns affected by the drop?

Good luck

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they have emailed me about landing page quality score (they must have changed an algorithm or something)
    The ads are still paying a couple cents a day though.