SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Looking to make a career change

Hello from York, UK

My career situation is simple. I work in conferencing and want out. The direction I want to head to is a new media / web design company.

Ever since I had to build my own web site 2 years ago Ive become a web junky - I love it.

My skills in programming are evolving but I know they aint good enough yet to get a developers job so I'd like to know what are the types of jobs (apart from programming) you can seek in a web design company. So far i know theres account management jobs / sales roles. Now Ive been in sales for the last five years so Ive got the aptitude.

So apart from wondering what sort of roles I could aim at does anyone know how I could het hold of serious web design companies in Leeds & Manchester?UK (apart from Googling) so I could approach them.

Any Insights welcome

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with the UK job market but I imagine you can use the sames sites those of us in the USA use (or similar ones) such as monster.com, careerbuilder.com and the likes. Given the recent explosion of the web industry there are many new media jobs on any major website in both the agency and client-side roles.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankyou for your reply. I've got a stronger idea now of what sector of the web market I'd like to position my self. I see e Commerce roles as the best route for me as it would tap in on my marketing experience and progress my interest in everything web.

Ive had some luck allready. I re jigged my CV and have an interview next week for an e Commerce role. I'm now frantically swotting up on SEO etc...
    I have had a perfectly wonderful
    evening, but this wasn't it-
    Julius "GROUCHO" Marx - 1890-1977
    http://www.davidclick.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just managed to land my first job as a web developer after making a career change from marketing. The process took some time, but now that a deal has been solidified, here is what I would recommend.

Currently, many companies that have been around for more than 10 years are going through a redesign phase concerning some of their older sites. In my case, I will be recoding sites in CSS and XHTML that were done with tables. This was my ticket into the company. Create some pure CSS and XHTML sites that highlight speed, accessibility and ease of maintenance. All 'key' points in web design these days. Use these as portfolio pieces to sell yourself to potential employers. Demonstrate that you can break down a table based site into CSS and you are way ahead of the curve. I imagine many developers would consider this tedious, boring work, but it is a good way to get a foot in the door. Once your in, you can slowly tap your other skills as they pertain to the business.

The SEO work you are pursuing is crucial too.

Good luck and don't give up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent, Thank you
    I have had a perfectly wonderful
    evening, but this wasn't it-
    Julius "GROUCHO" Marx - 1890-1977
    http://www.davidclick.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the comments. Provide more reasons for your employers to see you as valuable, specifically more valuable then others. Put yourself in their position, and really judge yourself critically to see what you have to be. Such generic advice... but all true. I hope this helps.

Best of luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a few sites to check out if you've not found them already:

www.cwjobs.co.uk
    www.jobserve.com
    www.jobsite.co.uk
    www.reed.co.uk
    www.workthing.com (runs off cwjobs I think)
    www.monster.co.uk (always been pants in my experience)