0 Thread(s)
    hate? i love SMF!

it's phpBB i hate..lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive tried running FUDforum, PHPbb, IPB, Vbulletin, SMF

i found FUDforum to be distinctly lacking, PHPbb to be good bar consistant hacking due to security issues, IPB to be good but VB to be easier to use

and SMF is good but i found its useability to be lacking

i dont know what it was but i just found navigating the forums to be a rougher experience.

through sites i had i ended up flicking between these softwares and eventually settling on VB which i just find easier to use and the users find it a dream to post on and navigate

to me my 2 big bug bears are always security and use-ability.

since moving from PHPbb (well it was phpnuke then phpbb on its own) to SMF FUD and IPB ( each was temporary, the feedback from users made the switch last only a short time.

now on VB users love the AJAX that has been implemented ( not that they know what ajax is) they love the V3arcade for it, i love the fact quick reply is as standard and ajax'd. navigation

with SMF it was little things, the user who started the thread was put into a seperate column in almost all themes i tried , this leads to everything looking squashed

there is 2 icons to the left of the title of a thread, i dont see the point, another spacing issue right there.

the space used at the top of an SMF forum is massive, there is no need to see statistics like time logged in and news and search and other things.

i just think ( remember im going out of the box in general here ) that they try to hard to show as much information as possible when people generally only need basic info.

that may only be a template design thing, but its going to take me a while to get used to SMF, figure out where all these issue's are and modify to suit

with Vbulletin its all exactly how i would like it ( except for the double icon thing which i dont like ) but other than that vbulletin has space, it has this roomy feel to it and i dont think the forums look squashed.

now i know its unfair to compare VB and SMF but the problems im pointing out are not limited to being commercial, the point of matter is design/use-ability wise.

i feel that SMF could have my vote when it comes to needing a free forum, but if i have the cash i will get vbulletin, once you get used to vbulletin the admin side is simple, its like anything and knowing where everything is counts for everything.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it ironic that people dislike SMF for its themes, when that is one of its strongest 'selling' points (from the perspective of the team). If you don't like SMF's themes, you can easily change every aspect of it.

As to vB, I hate the way the topic starter is in the same column, and even more so that it's not a proper link! vB's use of javascript there is close to the most ridiculous I've seen.
    "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what
    it might appear to others that what you were or might
    have been was not otherwise than what you had been
    would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionsiseire View Post

there is 2 icons to the left of the title of a thread, i dont see the point, another spacing issue right there.
    I agree! They are also meaningless untill you memorize what they mean.

Quote Originally Posted by dionsiseire View Post
    the space used at the top of an SMF forum is massive, there is no need to see statistics like time logged in and news and search and other things.
    This header can be minimized by default with some code changes. I agree, it is way to big.

The theme availibility has gotten much better in the last 6 months for SMF. I use SMF and TinyPortal on a few sites. I like it a lot. Very easy to display RSS feeds as content. I also run a phpNuke site and prefer the SMF/TP combo.

I have mixed success with SMF's auto mod install. Sometimes it hoses the forum pretty bad. Maybe it is user error/version issue? I prefer manual install.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be a key of icons in most themes. The column with participation icons is essential, but I think you could remove the other column unless your users do actually set an appropriate icon.
    "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what
    it might appear to others that what you were or might
    have been was not otherwise than what you had been
    would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Hey bringthefont, (courtesy of a Fox River rat) welcome to SitePoint!

SitePoint Enthusiast Simon Gooffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I checked it and it's a good script, IMO. But later I switched to phpBB (3.04 beta version). It's more convenient for me and I have a good experience customizing phpBB
    Directory Software - ultimate tool to build your own directory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    Most boards you have to go in and edit the code that handles the board itself JUST to skin certain elements which are inlined - like phpBB. phpBB has to be the WORST for skinning around as the CSS lets you control SOME colors, but most of the fonts and layout are inlined in the php output ALONGSIDE the queries all in one file. Now that's bad policy.
    Not true. phpBB template files are located in a template folder. You don't need to modify any php files to edit your template.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that is not all folks! You can upgrade online via a website! I also like SMF. Found the other a bit non-creative in presentation (yes I know I can create my own, but the ones available with SMF although limited was nice.)

Now if only Fantastico will update their versions!!!