SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree - Dreamwaver's templates are amazing.

I am going through Kevin Yank's wonderful PHP tutorial (http://www.webmasterbase.com/article.php3?aid=228&pid=0). I have always known the benifits of PHP and thought of it to be awesome, but it wasn't until a couple of hours ago that I realized how much this would beinifit my site. From what I know, PHP allows you to pretty much bypass dealing with HTML files. It allows you to instead run a database of files. Read at least the intro of Kevin's tutorial to find out more.

------------------
    http://redrival.com/trcfreebies/
    Get more hits, for free!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like using PHP for my includes because it allows me to make my sites that I design modular. I can take a module from one site and include it in another site that I design. But being a programmer I am used to working this way with all my Classes etc. organised into different files.

------------------
    Karl Austin
    KDA Web Services

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would people please comment on why SSI, or PHP for that matter is preferable to using Dreamweaver Templates. (yes, this is related to the previous topic)

I use these templates for my sites, and it allows easy updating across many pages. I find it is easier to use than SSI because you an include must be one continuous piece of code on a page (Like a nav bar, or a footer), while with Dreamweaver templates you can update code anywhere on the page, and in many different non-continuous places if you wish. This seems preferable than having to write many SSI's for different sections of your document.

And excited as I am about learning PHP and MySQL, how would it offer me any advantage to the system I use now.

Thanks,

Adam

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver templates are not dynamic. They can't change them once uploaded to a server without reuploading. Using PHP, SSI (with PERL) or ASP you could store your templates in a database and change them on the fly with a simple HTML form.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com