SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

access local server from within local network

Hi there

I have recently installed apache and coldfusion onto my desktop following the very helpful tutorial from this site I have been using this setup for about a month and its proven very useful as opposed to having to test things online and the time it takes to upload/edit/reupload etc.

I would like other users within the office and network to access this server so I can show any progress before uploading to the site. The address I use is:

http://localhost:8500/htdocs or
    http://192.168.1.7:8500/htdocs

either works, but when I try the latter on another machine within that ip range it tries for 1-2 mins then says it cannot find the page specified. Is this a coldfusion issue, or should I be looking more towards a general network based forum?

Thank you
    Danielle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check to see whether Windows Firewall is enabled. This might be block access to the Apache server.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Neil

Thanks for the suggestion, Windows Firewall is configured to unblock for apache. It then occurred to me that I should share the docs file on the network, surely this would be a help. It meant access, but trying to open a .cfm file results in the pc trying to open in Dreamweaver, a .html file is accessible. This makes me wonder if the other pcs can actually view the .cfm files anyway? Am I trying the impossible?

Thanks
    Danielle

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By simply sharing the docs folder, you are not processing the requests through the apache/coldfusion servers. That is why the browser is trying to open the .cfm file in dreamweaver (keep in mind that you could put any .html file onto a floppy disk and a browser could still read/render that file. A .cfm file needs to be processed by the coldfusion server in order for a browser to be able to render the page).

See if you can access the apache web server first from another computer on the network. Do this by dropping the port 8500 from the url and do not try to use localhost. Rather, connect via the IP address http://192.168.1.7/

If apache does not respond to that request (and you are positive no firewalls are in place preventing that traffic) then you will need to look at the Apache configuration file. Check the LISTEN and BIND ADDRESS directives. Those will show you which IP addresses / ports apache is listening on.

Once you are sure you can reach the apache server from another computer on the network, you can then move forward with the CF integration w/apache.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    double check the router's firewall - you will need to setup a rule to allow communication on the port 8500. forward all incoming and outbound traffic using that port number to your PC's IP address.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! thanks for the help guys, I can now get remote access to the root/htdocs of the apache server/installation - I added "192.168.1.7:8080" to the config file.

But... when I installed Apache and CF, they both chose their default root folders, so I can remotely access apache (hd:\progfile\apache etc) but I cannot access the cfserver (hd:\cfusionmx\wwwroot\htdocs). I access this via 192.168.1.7:8500/htdocs/

How can I access and execute cf files correctly via apache server?

Thanks
    Danielle

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to run the connector scripts to integrate apache and coldfusion. Then, all requests are handled by apache, and when a .cfm or .cfc page is requested, apache automatically passes it along to the coldfusion server for processing.

I think the connector script is in the c:\coldfusionmx\bin\connectors folder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's also the web server configuration tool:
    Start > All Programs > Macromedia > ColdFusion MX 7 > Web Server Configuration Tool