SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MediaWiki and Advertising?

Hi I'm thinking about setting up a site powered by mediawiki. Can you run advertising such as adsense with mediawiki or is it only for non-profit websites?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GPL does not prohibit you from using the software for commercial purposes or even outright selling it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it would be easy to implement advertising throughout it?

How is the posting controlled by users? Do I select moderators, or is it group decisions on what content is posted?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonec3 View Post
    So it would be easy to implement advertising throughout it?

How is the posting controlled by users? Do I select moderators, or is it group decisions on what content is posted?
    how did this end up working for u? I'm trying to start a wiki with mediawiki but a little confused on how to structure it to start putting articles in it.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no structure to a wiki until you start making one. You just go to a URL that doesn't exist yet, and you can create a page there. You can create category pages by marking them as such, and you can add links to the site's sidebar by editing yet another wiki page. There's no pre-defined organization.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    There is no structure to a wiki until you start making one. You just go to a URL that doesn't exist yet, and you can create a page there. You can create category pages by marking them as such, and you can add links to the site's sidebar by editing yet another wiki page. There's no pre-defined organization.
    Thank you for your reply. I was trying to grab some public domain articles from wikipedia that relate to the specific subject of my wiki, but the articles on wikipedia use different types of templates and the articles ended up with errors and mis-formatting when trying to put it in my wiki.

Is there a better way to do this, or is there a way I can import the wiki article templates from wikipedia? I tried doing it one by one, but there's just too many.

Thank you in advance for your replies.