SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting a Budget

OK - i know that talking about money and the cost of services is always a bit difficult but I have been reading a SitePoint Book calle 'Deliver First Class Web Sites' by Shirley Kaiser, and have come across something that I am unsure how to get straight.

A part of the checklists is one regarding budgets, but obvioulsy nothing is actualy said about cost, but the book makes a lot of sence talking about allowing sufficient budget for certain aspects of setting up and running a web site, including cost of software, web hosting, graphics and picture royalties.

These are all ok - you can find these out with a bit of googling, and find solutions to fit your budget - but what about programming?

I am not a programmer, and although I can set up a basic site (static) or install a CMS such as Joomla - i cannot add any functionality that I want without the use of a professional programmer... but heres the issue, what do i allow in my budget?

I know the answer is 'depends on what you want writing' but there has got to be some sort of rule of thumb based on a daily rate or something that i can apply.

Granted the total cost will depend on how many days the programming takes, level of post contract support etc, but at the moment I have nothing to go on - i can post arequest in the market place forum but the replies will go from the sublime to the rediculose as i suspect it could go from a professional company to an east european student looking to cut hie teeth on something.. so the prices will range wildly - but how will I know if the responces I get are high or low?

I know programmers complain of being poorly paid (what industry doesnt?) but does this mean minimum wage (here in the UK its 5.25 - ish -per hour) or do you all get $100 per hour and think this is realy poor?

I would like some guidence as I am currently working up a specification for a web site which may need to be split into phased development depending on the cost, and could do with a heads up before I go to press and advertise for a programmer..

Thanks
    GreenBoy

PS - also any thoughts about Non Disclosure Agreement and confidentiality greatly recieved.

ScottyTee
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Hi Greenboy,

Im am pretty experienced in this field, with regards to finding a budget that you think is pretty good you have to first decide will you pay per hour and hope that your programmers are efficient within these hours or will you pay per project as in both you and your programmer have a set amount before they touch a single bit of code.

As for which I would recommend it would depend on what you actually do have to spend. If you want to get it done for as cheap as possible I would recommend going for the per project approach and bargain with them this way, the advantage of this method would be it doesnt matter how long they take to code it they are only getting that amount. But if you just want to take it hour by hour to see how you like the coder and their abilities or perhaps you just like to pay by the hour then the by hour method would be preferrable.

I cant really give any guidance on what you should alot to your project as I dont know the complexity, but yes it does depend on your programmers, their skill and their reputation. Yes a European kid might offer to do it cheap, but you never know he may just have excellent skills and just wants to build his portfolio whereas a large company will obviously charge a lot to be able to pay all employees, office space etc etc.

When paying by the hour I usually go for anywhere between $35 - $100 depending on the programmers and the complexity of the project.

As for the Non Disclosure Agreement I have a post up on my website that will help you quite a lot

http://www.scotttaylorsblog.com/2006...ment-download/

Cheers and hope this has helped you a bit....

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks ScottyTee - this is good advice.

Im reviewing my project and going to see if there is a way to split out a smaller part to perhaps try a programmer on - on an hourly basis - and if good then get them to give me a price for the full project... well thats the idea any way.

The NDA looks good - also managed to balg a copy of an NDA from my works so have the two to compare.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

ScottyTee
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Anytime mate