User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont understand!!!

these friggin tables are drivng me insane!!!

Why is it that when i create a table with 1 row and 3 columns (each column being 200 pixels in width)...then insert a table into each column (each table being 100% in width)

It looks great BUT!!

as soon as i type in text and/or insert pictures that are larger than 200 pixels in width... The damn table grows with the text and/or picture?!?!?!

Ive searched and searched for DETAILED tutorials on page layouts with tables and nested tables but keep coming up with tutorials that do basic things like explain table rows and columns...
    Im really getting frustrated with this and could use ANY help that i can get <=(

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no problem, it is not your fault. if you have an image that is over 200 pixels in a 200 pixel table, the table will grow. What did you expect?

If you have a continuous word that takes up more than 200 pixels, it would also make the table larger.

Sorry bud, I can't get the detailed tutorial, but I hope what I have covered helps. You might want to browse through Webmonkey (http://www.webmonkey.com)

------------------
    http://redrival.com/trcfreebies/
    Get more hits, for free!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if the table is going to grow with the pictures and text inside of it, why do we even bother in declaring a table size?

seems kinda pointless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by jizbot:
    Well if the table is going to grow with the pictures and text inside of it, why do we even bother in declaring a table size?

seems kinda pointless
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's still important, allows you to divide content into little sections and use little colored bars...

How else would it be? What else can I table do other than grow when you place an image larger than the cell inside? I see no other alternative...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Under Construction!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly.

People declare sizes of tables/cells for formatting reasons.

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck i dont know But i think you guys are forgetting that your talking to a newbie...

It might seem plain and simple to you, but to me it makes little sense.

The way i see it is like this:
    When im in a text editor, say WordPad, and i set my formatting options, and i set the margins to a certain width... Then if i type beyond that width, it doesnt expand the width (even though theres still paper left to be printed on)...instead it wraps the text.

Well i suppose thats what i kinda thought that a table cell would do.

It seems to me as if people answering questions could be a bit less condescending. The question may sound simple and well... dumb to you, but if the person took the time to come here and type it up onto a bulletin board... theyre obviously stumped by it.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Images don't wrap

Text wraps if you specify the size of the cell.

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am gonna step in here.

I have read all the messages in this forum and haven't seen any that are condescending. Sometimes the answers are short because the poster of the original request doesn't clearly state what their exact problem is. In the future please be more detailed about your problem if you want better answers.

You can't wrap an image. There is no way to insert a line break into an binary object. To use your example of notepad. If you went into Notepad and inserted a floating image over the margin it will accept it. It won't force it within the margins. It will warn you that you have data outside the printable area of the page but that is about it.

Text wraps because there are logical places to insert line breaks at.

In short make sure that your content is than your table cells and you won't have to worry about them growing to fit the data. Web Design is not an exact science nor is it an art. Its a combination of the two and you have to settle for the best you can get, no more no less.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com