SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggest the right CMS to use for a web/business directory

Ok, I'm in the process of creating a few websites and I need to decide on the right CMS to use for these websites.

The types of websites I am talking about here are web portals/directories, sort of like yellow pages with a classic (old) yahoo-style directory listing of entries. Now, entries will range from a site to site (different industries), but they all have something in common, so here are the requirements for the CMS:

1. ability to sort listings (not just links but detailed descriptions) into categories and subcategories as well as sort those by locations as well (different cities) into a yahoo-like page/directory (if you don't know what I'm talking about, it's the old 2 column listing of categories with all the subcategories listed in smaller font underneath the main categories and the number of listings in each)

2. ability to set up and charge $ (through paypal preferrably) for these listings (again, preferrably have an automated process where if the payment has been processed the listing becomes visible to the public, and once it expires it goes back in the "offline queue" - some sort of a subscription module or something will do just fine, as long as it works as described above, in a nutshell)

3. ability to post articles or news items on the site (by admins AND certain usergroups)

4. ability to restrict viewing to certain areas of the site to certain usergroups (meaning different user levels and different permissions for those)

5. ability to code custom modules for it and a decent availability of those (or designers/coders for those)

6. ability to manage banners on the site (built in preferrably, since I can always use a third party script)

7. easy addition to the directory listings by visitors/potential customers and easy subscription/payment process

8. SEO features (meaning SEO links to sections of the site, pages, articles, listings, etc)

9. Optional: Shopping cart/e-Commerce features for larger stores and very detailed backend.

am I asking for too much here?

Ok, so far I've got a few candidates for the job, I am just not sure if any of these will fill my requirements above just yet (still haven't had time to install them all on a test server and spend a few days customizing them and learning about each):

- Drupal 5.0 (or 4.7)
    - Joomla 1.5
    - ExpressionEngine 1.5.1
    - phpMyDirectory 10.4.6

any others?

or any of the above 4 that you think can do this job right out of the box (or with use of some already existing modules)?

please let me know your opinion...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id say Joomla, but your requirements are quite specific.

Take a look at this Joomla extension http://www.mosets.com/tree/ for your directory style stuff, this can be customised in many ways, im not sure about payment for listings you will have to look into that.

The rest of the stuff you mention can all be done with Joomla and extensions.

If you want me to fetch a list of such extensions let me no.

Many regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    edirectory.com - you will need a big budget.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dalt
    edirectory.com - you will need a big budget.
    true, and that's as close as it gets to my requirements... but at a hefty cost. if there was ANYTHING out there as a cheaper alternative with those features (especially their "ajax search") I'd buy it in a second...

Quote Originally Posted by Para
    Take a look at this Joomla extension http://www.mosets.com/tree/ for your directory style stuff, this can be customised in many ways, im not sure about payment for listings you will have to look into that.
    yeah, I just quickly browsed thru the features and a demo, and it doesn't allow images to be added for all the listings (as in a gallery for each listings)... and that payment feature (expired/overdue/whatever payments and reporting system) is kinda a must.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at the CMS at www.asbrusoft.com - it's not cheap but you can use it to build your own system based on your requirements. Reading through your list the CMS is more than capable of doing everything without the need for plugins or any mods.