SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink There's a lot of good in here....

We hear plenty of stories about someone holding a contest and then running off without awarding a prize or taking prize money without delivering the goods, but here's a good news story.

The background

I ran a logo contest on behalf of a client. Around 20 entries came in. When I chased him for feedback etc, I found out that he had other things on his mind. It turns out that his (30 yr old) daughter was seriously ill in hospital and he's put everything on hold business-wise.

When I communicated this to the contest holders and asked to suspend the contest I got only positive feedback and (guarded) support from SP. My plan was to wait for 2 weeks and chase for feedback again. If it was not forthcoming I'd wait another 2 weeks before closing the contest and split the prize three ways - awarding the prize(let)s to the three entries I thought were the best. Since I had no real idea of what my client was looking for in his logo I was in no position to post feedback of my own.

The outcome

When I spoke to my client about a week ago his daughter was near death's door and unlikely to live. He was very apologetic but unwilling (rightly) to focus on business issues. I therefore closed the contest and announced the three 'winner's.

The first accepted very gracefully and gratefully, offered sincere condolences and thanked me for running a decent contest.

The second refused payment and suggested that I give the prize money to a charity - which I've done.

The third hasn't yet claimed the prize but I'm about to follow up and PM them directly. I've no doubt that they'll be fine about it too.

My point

I feel bad that the contest entrants had no feedback and that no-one got the $150 prize originally on offer but that's been beyond my control. At no time have I had any abuse, postings of suspicions etc - in fact much the opposite.

There's a lot of good people doing business in the MP and there's still room for trust and compassion. Thanks again to all those who entered the contest for their understanding.

Nigel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on you - there isn't a stereo-type which these failed contests or their originators fall into, however, such an outcome is rare. As a middleman the responsibility and problems of your client are yours alone - but under these conditions you could have bailed out, which you did not.

Rarely will anyone pat you on the back for being such a good sport, so consider your back patted, I'm sure people will take this into consideration next time you start a contest

working hard is hard work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoops, but thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ainslie X11
    Good on you - there isn't a stereo-type which these failed contests or their originators fall into, however, such an outcome is rare. As a middleman the responsibility and problems of your client are yours alone - but under these conditions you could have bailed out, which you did not.

Rarely will anyone pat you on the back for being such a good sport, so consider your back patted, I'm sure people will take this into consideration next time you start a contest
    Many thanks Ainslie X11, but I wasn't after the praise myself.

I've re-read my original post and it's not clear that I'm seeking to praise the actions of:

a) All the contest entrants in not giving me any flak
    b) Those who posted notes of support and understanding (incl the winners)
    c) The winner who wanted her prize to go to charity.

Nigel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for telling us of your experience daynig.

As a contest holder, as long as you explain the situation to the entrants openly and honestly, like you did, that's the most important thing. I think the entrants appreciated your communication and that's why they were so understanding.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff