User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Joomla negatives

Hi

I am thinking of changing my static XHTML/CSS website to a CMS and someone recently showed me Joomla which looks great.

I have 2 questions:

1. I don't have any PHP knowledge - will this cause me problems?

2. What are the negatives about using Joomla (I have seen all the positive aspects) e.g. I have read on various posts about bad SEO? Anything else?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luce
    Hi

What are the negatives about using Joomla (I have seen all the positive aspects) e.g. I have read on various posts about bad SEO? Anything else?

Thanks
    I use joomla on many sites (at least 8) and I find it rather good. I don't necessarily agree on the bad seo. If you do the hard yards each time you put up an article by adding metatags and a brief description, you will benefit in the short and long term. I do think there should be a mod to dynamically generate this.

Editing can be a bit quirky, so make sure you have a good editor installed. The default editor should be better.

The media file structure can be improved on and the main thing that craps me off is sometimes when checking on the content in the backend, I don't close out of the file, it gets locked. Whilst it is simple to unlock, it is another function to perform in what is a busy schedule in updating a lot of websites. There should be an option to disable this function if there is only one editor.

Other than that, if you're not good at php like me, get a template that is similar to your needs (and there are hundreds to choose from) and modify it with your own graphics and you're away.

Dalt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will love joomla, you really don't need to know php, there are a lot of modules and components. With them you can modify website depending on your wishes, most of them are free. I was using Mambo more than one year (it is like Joomla), most of traffic was comming from google, I even haven't installed SEF, SEF - is great tool to improve your SEO.
    Good luck!
    In this signature, there are no ads. Strange? - No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Negatives hmm nows theres a question.

The only Negatives i can think of is the lack of user management and for community websites (user based) this can be a problem, also the only way to get front end user profiles is to use the "community builder" extention, and thats is not too great, way over complicated and not user friendly.

Apart from that, its the best CMS in the world hands down!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks sound good.
    Does anyone know if it is possible tos use my own XHTML/CSS template?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the whole concept of waht a CMS should be and which 'default features' it should include do vary a lot depending on your own expectations and needs.

However, my own personal opion is that yes, Joomla is a great CMS, but why oh why not have the following:

* fine grained user permissions management
    * article versioning management
    * notification of new content submission to admin and/or publishers

IMHO a CMS without these features is fine, but only if used to manage sites owned by either just one person or very few that trust each other explicitly.

Otherwise look elsewhere.

That seems to be OK for Joomla as it's become their target market.

The other feature that would make it a better CMS is SEF (or better described as HF - human friendly) as default, similar to WordPress.

Shame, because with the above features it would attract more companies needing a CMS, and the project itself would then potentially benefit from more investment and potential for developers to earn more money.

- Vince