User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Video conversion using PHP

Hello All
    I'm trying to convert video files to .flv files, i.e. flash video. My users would be uploading any video to the server, for example .wmv, .rm, .qt, .mpeg, .mpg, .mp4 etc. All these video formats should be automaticvally converted to .flv file using php. So far I've discovered only one tool and it is - FFMPEG. It seems that this is the only tool that could be used for LAMP. But somehow it is only converting a very very few video formats for me (surprisingly it is even missing out .wmv).

My next problem is I'm not being able to generate screen shots out of my videos. Could any one please help me so that I may use FFMPEG to get screenshots from my videos, or any other tool on LINUX which does the same. I'm stuck with this for the last 3 days and urgently need a solution.
    If somebody has done this before, please please help me out.
    Thanks a lot in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, welcome to the forums!

IIRC ffmpeg is perfectly able to decode wmv (you can also try renaming to asf). Encoding to wmv is "strongly discouraged" for legal reasons (see ffmpeg faq).

To extract a still image from the video just "wind" it to the desired position (-ss) and convert to jpeg:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i video.mpeg -ss 10 -t 1 -f mjpeg screenshot.jpg

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot buddy, it worked for me flawlessly. Thanks again.