SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 52
  1. #26
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries
    Same here. I had high hopes for Alicia way back....but the recent stuff has meant it is off my list too. I wouldn't touch that lot with a bargepole now
    Considering what I just read about licensing, if there ever was a thought I had to consider this software it's long gone now. Consider this a "non-option" for the indefinite future unless there is some world changing event occurs.
    My law forum and legal information website -- I also buy websites you may wish to sell

  2. #27
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clenard
    Oh yeah, in 1.5 or 2.0 there will be a Windows Version as well... and they're also working on a PHP5 Compatible version but I'm not sure if that's in 1.5 or 2.0, yet.
    Without getting too deep into details and clarifying my post and yours, etc. bottom line is that version 1.1 was still a mess. Considering the amount of time it took to screw around with a 1.1 database (I am working with a social networking web site that is running it) and the response from phpfox I am not confident.

    Now I'm glad you seem to be marketing and selling good things for phpfox and that's great. But I do not have your optimism that this product will be out so soon. I would be thrilled if they got the PHP version right in the near future. To even start talking about a Windows version is a good indication of such a lack of focus where one is trying to eat far, far more than they can currently chew.

    Now if you think that I'm being a pessimist, I dare you to talk to any 10 phpfox site owners who have had to do upgrades from 1.0.3 or 1.0.4 to the present. I guarantee that they will tell you of the insane manner in which they had to deal with the process. Let's not even talk about the 137.5 patches that have since been released since version 1.1 and the manner in which they are presented in the forums. I could go on but I won't. 1.5 is still very much a beta and not really ready for release, IMHO. There are too many necessities that are just not in there as I said, everything from the need for real email validation to simple navigational front end issues.

    Yes, they are making good faith efforts to try to clean things up. If you are in any way connected with them then for Heaven's sake tell them NOT to start on a Windows version and get one PHP version right first. Doing things half baked twice over doesn't help anyone.
    My law forum and legal information website -- I also buy websites you may wish to sell

  3. #28
    SitePoint Enthusiast resurepus.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slinky, I was just saying that I don't see a great problem for a smaller community which I am not planning to sell. Neither I am planning to invest huge amounts of money into it. Though it is ridiculous to say that they own the database generated with their script.
    http://www.DesignContest.net - post your webdesign project and many designers will compete for your business. You will pay only when you get the result you are looking for.

  4. #29
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Not a problem? Are you kidding me?
    Ditto ^THAT^!
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

    oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

  5. #30
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by resurepus.com
    Slinky, I was just saying that I don't see a great problem for a smaller community which I am not planning to sell. Neither I am planning to invest huge amounts of money into it. Though it is ridiculous to say that they own the database generated with their script.
    Understood completely and no worries. I was just so shocked when I saw that license that my post was more about them than it was about your comments. I ain't paying no ten bucks to tell them what to do with their license.
    My law forum and legal information website -- I also buy websites you may wish to sell

  6. #31
    SitePoint Enthusiast resurepus.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Understood completely and no worries. I was just so shocked when I saw that license that my post was more about them than it was about your comments. I ain't paying no ten bucks to tell them what to do with their license.
    I already paid so I will have to deal with it
    http://www.DesignContest.net - post your webdesign project and many designers will compete for your business. You will pay only when you get the result you are looking for.

  7. #32
    SitePoint Addict Clenard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Without getting too deep into details and clarifying my post and yours, etc. bottom line is that version 1.1 was still a mess. Considering the amount of time it took to screw around with a 1.1 database (I am working with a social networking web site that is running it) and the response from phpfox I am not confident.

    Now I'm glad you seem to be marketing and selling good things for phpfox and that's great. But I do not have your optimism that this product will be out so soon. I would be thrilled if they got the PHP version right in the near future. To even start talking about a Windows version is a good indication of such a lack of focus where one is trying to eat far, far more than they can currently chew.

    Now if you think that I'm being a pessimist, I dare you to talk to any 10 phpfox site owners who have had to do upgrades from 1.0.3 or 1.0.4 to the present. I guarantee that they will tell you of the insane manner in which they had to deal with the process. Let's not even talk about the 137.5 patches that have since been released since version 1.1 and the manner in which they are presented in the forums. I could go on but I won't. 1.5 is still very much a beta and not really ready for release, IMHO. There are too many necessities that are just not in there as I said, everything from the need for real email validation to simple navigational front end issues.

    Yes, they are making good faith efforts to try to clean things up. If you are in any way connected with them then for Heaven's sake tell them NOT to start on a Windows version and get one PHP version right first. Doing things half baked twice over doesn't help anyone.

    I'm not sure what you're referring to when you mention "one PHP version right"... they're all PHP dude. Windows IIS and Linux/Apache setups are what I'm referring to.

    Now you seem to know about 1.5 well enough - but you seem to be missing the fact that while you're putting 1.5 down - you're the only one thus far. Are you even on the PHPFox forums? The bug reports are being reported by more than 30 webmasters plus the new developers (they have approximately 5 new developers now) and the reports are about half of what 1.1 is CURRENTLY.

    You can believe what you want - but some of your sentences are way out of wack... believe me - 1.09 sucked in my opinion and 1.1 cleaned up alot of those problems but still sucked in many, many ways for some of us. But I'm finding it hard to believe that you've been testing out 1.5 at all since you seem to be giving misleading "facts"?

    Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you but I've read your comments twice now and a few sentences make absolutely no sense... honestly, have you been testing 1.5 at all? have you been to the Bug Reporting Forum? So far the only negative thing about 1.5 is the vB integration that seems to be a lot less buggy than the last version but still not 100%, yet. Other than that - 1.5 RC1 will be released next week, at the latest.

  8. #33
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clenard
    I'm not sure what you're referring to when you mention "one PHP version right"... they're all PHP dude. Windows IIS and Linux/Apache setups are what I'm referring to.

    Now you seem to know about 1.5 well enough - but you seem to be missing the fact that while you're putting 1.5 down - you're the only one thus far. Are you even on the PHPFox forums? The bug reports are being reported by more than 30 webmasters plus the new developers (they have approximately 5 new developers now) and the reports are about half of what 1.1 is CURRENTLY.

    You can believe what you want - but some of your sentences are way out of wack... believe me - 1.09 sucked in my opinion and 1.1 cleaned up alot of those problems but still sucked in many, many ways for some of us. But I'm finding it hard to believe that you've been testing out 1.5 at all since you seem to be giving misleading "facts"?
    "Konsort is the new engine that will power all our sites in the near future. Konsort will be fully completed by version 2.0 and we decided to release a version in between our current release version 1.1 and 2.0. Which is where we are now with version 1.5. This is just a stepping-stone to version 2.0..."

    The above quote is directly from the horse's mouth. You can get all excited about version 1.5 of PHPFox. But the fact is that it isn't what it should be until version 2.0 and right now they are at 1.5. And for those who spent months with version 1.1 and the support issues which even those guys couldn't help with, then anyone knows that my expectations and gripes are, to quote My Cousin Vinnie: "dead on balls accurate."

    In case I wasn't absolutely clear, I'm hoping that the PHPFox folks get ONE released version right before they begin another. Right now they haven't released one good PHP version and it's all promises so they should NOT even begin to start talking about Windows.

    Now to anyone not selling PHPFox (we can sell discounted versions too) I believe that I make perfect sense. In fact, I'll say that to most who struggled with the inability for the PHPFox guys to handle the horrific upgrading problems, they will second, third, fourth and one thousandth the motion to halt the development of Windows versions until they get one version right and use it to begin development elsewhere. If I can quote at one point, time to wait to merely upgrade a database from an earlier version was up to one month's time. That should tell anyone something about putting priorities in order. I'm cautiously optimistic and giving them time but not happy if the plans are, once again, ridiculously ambitious for the sake of not wanting to maximize cash input at the expense of the product.
    My law forum and legal information website -- I also buy websites you may wish to sell

  9. #34
    SitePoint Addict Clenard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to reply to you any more. I believe you're now feeling a little foolish and trying to attack me for no other reason than the fact that you realize you're just rambling on now. I won't indulge in your childish antics.

    Thanks for trying though

  10. #35
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clenard
    I'm not going to reply to you any more. I believe you're now feeling a little foolish and trying to attack me for no other reason than the fact that you realize you're just rambling on now. I won't indulge in your childish antics.

    Thanks for trying though
    Talk about absurd. Nobody cares to pick a fight with you and your attempts to deflect valid criticism and scream "personal attack" undermines your own credibility and professionalism. Perhaps you're getting all defensive because you have hung out a big shingle selling PHPFox at a discount. The most credible salespeople are the ones who can concede the obvious shortcomings -- something even the PHPFox people I spoke to admitted immediately.

    Fact is that I have been working with a company using PHPFox from versions 1.0.3 through the current. I have had long conversations with them. We have also expended significant time and resources trying to get their product to work. Moreso, when PHPFox themselves say that version 1.5 is a stepping stone to 2.0, trying to defend the obvious isn't going to help your case.

    For the last time, I commend and applaud their efforts to fix what really needs fixing. They are making progress and trying to right the ship. I can only hope they don't take wrong steps along the way in trying to get out several new versions for the sake of additional revenues while not focusing on just getting out the one that is done properly -- version 2.0. Until the time it is out version 1.5 remains a very good work in progress.
    My law forum and legal information website -- I also buy websites you may wish to sell

  11. #36
    SitePoint Addict Clenard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clenard
    I'm not sure what you're referring to when you mention "one PHP version right"... they're all PHP dude. Windows IIS and Linux/Apache setups are what I'm referring to.

    Now you seem to know about 1.5 well enough - but you seem to be missing the fact that while you're putting 1.5 down - you're the only one thus far. Are you even on the PHPFox forums? The bug reports are being reported by more than 30 webmasters plus the new developers (they have approximately 5 new developers now) and the reports are about half of what 1.1 is CURRENTLY.

    You can believe what you want - but some of your sentences are way out of wack... believe me - 1.09 sucked in my opinion and 1.1 cleaned up alot of those problems but still sucked in many, many ways for some of us. But I'm finding it hard to believe that you've been testing out 1.5 at all since you seem to be giving misleading "facts"?

    Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you but I've read your comments twice now and a few sentences make absolutely no sense... honestly, have you been testing 1.5 at all? have you been to the Bug Reporting Forum? So far the only negative thing about 1.5 is the vB integration that seems to be a lot less buggy than the last version but still not 100%, yet. Other than that - 1.5 RC1 will be released next week, at the latest.
    Talk about absurd. Nobody cares to pick a fight with you and your attempts to deflect valid criticism and scream "personal attack" undermines your own credibility and professionalism. Perhaps you're getting all defensive because you have hung out a big shingle selling PHPFox at a discount. The most credible salespeople are the ones who can concede the obvious shortcomings -- something even the PHPFox people I spoke to admitted immediately.
    Now to anyone not selling PHPFox (we can sell discounted versions too) I believe that I make perfect sense. In fact, I'll say that to most who struggled with the inability for the PHPFox guys to handle the horrific upgrading problems, they will second, third, fourth and one thousandth the motion to halt the development of Windows versions until they get one version right and use it to begin development elsewhere. If I can quote at one point, time to wait to merely upgrade a database from an earlier version was up to one month's time. That should tell anyone something about putting priorities in order. I'm cautiously optimistic and giving them time but not happy if the plans are, once again, ridiculously ambitious for the sake of not wanting to maximize cash input at the expense of the product.


    Your childishness is great. Especially the rebuttals and excuses for why you don't pay attention to what you're reading. Reminiscent of my 6 year old nephew who has ADD.

    Maybe you should read a little closer next time.
    Oh well... I won't argue with you as you're a Griefer, plain and simple.



    For those who want to see the vBulletin Integration with PHPFox in action - you can go directly to:

    http://forums.phpfox.com/members/

    It's in beta but it seems to work great so far

  12. #37
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clenard


    Your childishness is great. Especially the rebuttals and excuses for why you don't pay attention to what you're reading. Reminiscent of my 6 year old nephew who has ADD.

    Maybe you should read a little closer next time.
    Oh well... I won't argue with you as you're a Griefer, plain and simple.
    You aren't arguing with me because you've got no reply. Are you using a method we might get from your FREE MARKETING BOOK? If you've got nothing to say, change the topic and call the other person a baby and a pessimist. It's clear to any six year old that you're evidently shilling for PHPFox and I'm sad to discover that now.

    Amongst other things, I run a phpfox site for a corporation that has spent tens of thousands of dollars on it. You can hype up 1.5 all you want but there is a very good reason we haven't upgraded and neither have many other sites. Point blank we have all installed too many mods (aka paid fixes) to handle basic tasks that PHPFox doesn't do. In addition, the database upgrade to 1.1 itself was a nightmare we don't want to revisit and are safer just waiting for completion of this project, in the event we don't find something else to switch too that proves reliable. And for those who couldn't read (and what you ignore the first time), the PHPFox folks themselves admit that 1.5 is still in a transitional state to version 2.0, even though they've done a very good job so far for what it is.

    As I said, any credible salesperson will concede the weakness of their product. While PHPFox has many positives and is "pretty good" at what it does, it is still far from the holy grail. Your attempts to tell us what gold 1.5 is means you think everyone here is an idiot and you can continue to sell in the same fashion as what is printed in your FREE marketing book -- which you get less than what you pay for. In essence, your continuation is making people think that PHPFox is dishonestly representing itself to be more than it really is at the moment. But that's just you spreading the hype.

    For those who want to see the vBulletin Integration with PHPFox in action - you can go directly to:
    Did anyone even ask for this? The promotion goes on, and on, and on... Unfortunately I now understand perfectly now why the BuddyZone developer went ballistic on me, thinking I was you and was so upset, giving me a lecture about PHPFox and mention of question business ethics and harassment. Poor guy, he probably really did get a barrage of questionable emails and "the treatment." I'm sure he's giving PHPFox a run for the money since his product does work rather nicely from the front end and is much less confusing. It's too bad he doesn't know how to market it or align himself.

    So in short, PHPFox does work and the guys there seem to be doing a good job in getting it to a good place. They've been pretty honest with me, especially from the early versions, that it really needed an overhaul and I went with them because I liked that kind of honesty. However, expect it to be a while until it becomes a true out of the box solution that your users can use easily and quickly and that won't be something of an administrative liability in some areas. Expect to spend money on "must have hacks" that should be built into the system and I'm guessing probably will when version 2.0 comes out.

    I'm actually disappointed that you aren't a mature professional, Clenard.
    My law forum and legal information website -- I also buy websites you may wish to sell

  13. #38
    SitePoint Addict Clenard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact of the matter is - you've attacked me and my signature because you couldn't cope with the fact that you barely know that difference between what Windows and PHP is...

    I've got PM's in my box thanking me for all of my help with SEVERAL products, as well as PHPFox..why? because I KNOW THE PRODUCT. So YES, I do "promote" products if I believe in them, thanks for sharing that valuable information.

    The reason I even replied to you was because YOU BROUGHT UP MY NAME for no reason. Then you make claims about products you obviously know little about. I corrected you on those and agreed with you on some points and then you claimed I was NOT.

    You're motives on this site are obvious. You're a griefer and you continue to prove it. Again, I come to this site and see you WAY OFF TOPIC making rediculous claims and playing the "see I told you so!" game. Get a life and let this topic get back on track... I'm not going to play your tough guy on the internet game because it's childish and not needed.

    Learn about things before you claim to know them so well... faking it until you're making it hardly works in real life.

    As for your attack on the free ebook... wow, dude... you're just making a pure @ss out of yourself in this thread. I found the ebook and let people grab it because It's a great FREE product that people don't have to purchase or give their emails for.

    Get a life and let this topic get back to normal ... if you want to bash a product for no reason - go for it. Agreeing with someone who you argued with 3 days ago and bashed earlier in this thread to "attempt to win an argument" shows the kind of person you are.

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    You aren't arguing with me because you've got no reply. Are you using a method we might get from your FREE MARKETING BOOK? If you've got nothing to say, change the topic and call the other person a baby and a pessimist. It's clear to any six year old that you're evidently shilling for PHPFox and I'm sad to discover that now.

    Amongst other things, I run a phpfox site for a corporation that has spent tens of thousands of dollars on it. You can hype up 1.5 all you want but there is a very good reason we haven't upgraded and neither have many other sites. Point blank we have all installed too many mods (aka paid fixes) to handle basic tasks that PHPFox doesn't do. In addition, the database upgrade to 1.1 itself was a nightmare we don't want to revisit and are safer just waiting for completion of this project, in the event we don't find something else to switch too that proves reliable. And for those who couldn't read (and what you ignore the first time), the PHPFox folks themselves admit that 1.5 is still in a transitional state to version 2.0, even though they've done a very good job so far for what it is.

    As I said, any credible salesperson will concede the weakness of their product. While PHPFox has many positives and is "pretty good" at what it does, it is still far from the holy grail. Your attempts to tell us what gold 1.5 is means you think everyone here is an idiot and you can continue to sell in the same fashion as what is printed in your FREE marketing book -- which you get less than what you pay for. In essence, your continuation is making people think that PHPFox is dishonestly representing itself to be more than it really is at the moment. But that's just you spreading the hype.


    Did anyone even ask for this? The promotion goes on, and on, and on... Unfortunately I now understand perfectly now why the BuddyZone developer went ballistic on me, thinking I was you and was so upset, giving me a lecture about PHPFox and mention of question business ethics and harassment. Poor guy, he probably really did get a barrage of questionable emails and "the treatment." I'm sure he's giving PHPFox a run for the money since his product does work rather nicely from the front end and is much less confusing. It's too bad he doesn't know how to market it or align himself.

    So in short, PHPFox does work and the guys there seem to be doing a good job in getting it to a good place. They've been pretty honest with me, especially from the early versions, that it really needed an overhaul and I went with them because I liked that kind of honesty. However, expect it to be a while until it becomes a true out of the box solution that your users can use easily and quickly and that won't be something of an administrative liability in some areas. Expect to spend money on "must have hacks" that should be built into the system and I'm guessing probably will when version 2.0 comes out.

    I'm actually disappointed that you aren't a mature professional, Clenard.

  14. #39
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clenard
    The fact of the matter is - you've attacked me and my signature because you couldn't cope with the fact that you barely know that difference between what Windows and PHP is...
    Your signature in bright red and blaring capital letters speaks for itself. If you can't take the heat, get out of the marketing kitchen... BTW, what is Windows? LOL.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clenard
    I've got PM's in my box thanking me for all of my help with SEVERAL products, as well as PHPFox..why? because I KNOW THE PRODUCT. So YES, I do "promote" products if I believe in them, thanks for sharing that valuable information.
    Considering we spent over ten thousand dollars on developing a PHPFox product, I think it's safe to say we know well enough what it can and what it cannot do. To even say we don't is insulting and obviously ridiculous. I guess we'll take your word for it that the tons of emails you've received for all your help with several products makes you an expert amongst experts. If the fact you are a promoter wasn't valuable info I guess we now know for sure that you are a PHPFox promoter. Note the conflict of interest.

    The reason I even replied to you was because YOU BROUGHT UP MY NAME for no reason. Then you make claims about products you obviously know little about. I corrected you on those and agreed with you on some points and then you claimed I was NOT.
    All I said in a reply to you was that the Budddyzone developer thought I was you. You corrected nothing since you addressed almost none of the points I raised.

    You're motives on this site are obvious. You're a griefer and you continue to prove it. Again, I come to this site and see you WAY OFF TOPIC making rediculous claims and playing the "see I told you so!" game. Get a life and let this topic get back on track... I'm not going to play your tough guy on the internet game because it's childish and not needed.
    So you've ingeniously figured out that my reasons for posting is that I have nothing else to do in life but just "be a griefer." Yeah, I come here just to be a downer. I'm keeping my responses short and don't care to prolong a flame war and, of course, there are more threads that need more pessimism.

    Learn about things before you claim to know them so well... faking it until you're making it hardly works in real life.
    Thanks for letting us know we're all idiots and faking knowledge. Been doing it for years and with GPL software you may have used. All the experienced people who worked on the PHPFox site at our company are are idiots too, including the ones who have worked with PHP for years.

    I've long tired of this conversation and don't care to make it a flame war. You can have the last word. Go ahead, free punches.

    Now back to what we were talking about -- alternatives to PHPFox and the current state of PHPFox. Today we actually decided not to make any more concerted efforts until version 2.0 comes out and may take a different direction if we don't see progress where we need it to be over the next few weeks. Our alternative is that we have bought a site that uses an in-house, proprietary solution that we'll consider porting over the user base to. For the less serious projects, I think it's a tough call at the moment although the next 6-8 weeks could get interesting. The market is so hot for these communities that I wouldn't be surprised if there were other players making entrances.
    My law forum and legal information website -- I also buy websites you may wish to sell

  15. #40
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2 cents on PHPFOX, I had it, but ended up selling my license to someone who wanted a second one.

    I believe it's a decent product, with a lot of potential, but isn't at that level where I would drop any of my projects to work on that. I still found that it had a lot of work to be done before it became a good release.

    just my 2 cents.

  16. #41
    SitePoint Zealot bboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can Vbulletin itself be modified to function as a Social Networking site? I would think that since it appears to be able to handle large volumes of users that it would be ideal for this sort of thing. Anyone?


    *note: when I mention vbulletin I am not talking about/referring to Zoints.
    Last edited by bboy; Nov 27, 2006 at 22:39.

  17. #42
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bboy
    Can Vbulletin itself be modified to function as a Social Networking site? I would think that since it appears to be able to handle large volumes of users that it would be ideal for this sort of thing. Anyone?
    It can. I've seen several that have done it well. Over at vbulletin.org there's a Groups Commune mod, and several myspace-style profile mods.

    Or you can integrate vBulletin with Drupal using vbDrupal. (<--that's what I'm having developed now)

    If you don't need a CMS, go with vB and the Groups + Profiles mods.
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

    oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

  18. #43
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen some good attempts at using VB as something more than a forum but everything seems blocky and awkward and has that boxy, VB feel to everything. I actually think that the VB integration that PHPFox is using for 1.5 is much more the right approach as they use it only for what it really shines at -- an amazing, full featured forum that has all the admin functions you could want to make administrating a large board a pleasure instead of a hassle. This is where I could never think of using phpbb as a substitute. I was one of the early people who worked on vbportal with wajones (a great guy) and while it is great for what it is, it never escaped that boxy feel and look, even though I think it's still by far the best front end for VB. VBAdvanced and the other products (directory) is another great attempt but still acts like a forum trying to do other things. The UI and visual experience suffers too greatly IMHO and is not streamlined.

    The guys at zoints deserve a big hand for trying to bridge that gap. I admire their efforts although I do not care for handing over my users to a third party that holds my clients profiles. Plus the interface is confusing and to me I don't see the need for crossover to other communities like they have which will get more challenging in time. It's an idea.

    What I have seen that was shockingly good for a hack job is Joomla + VB + Community Builder module for Joomla. I saw a great example of this on iluvkorea.com and use it now for legal profiles on TheLaw.com for lawyers and legal professionals. While my site isn't per se the definition of where social networking might occur (mostly professional which is a little different), the Korean site is just scratching the surface of where this project is going. The designer has done one of the best jobs of combining modules with a little bit of his own wizardry and clean layout to get the job done. Kudos.

    I haven't seen the Drupal method but I just don't like Drupal and can tell instantly when I see a site. It can be confusing and the output is almost always boxy. But this is personal taste and I'm sure others (like Kat) can give you the benefits of going with this system and where the promise is.
    My law forum and legal information website -- I also buy websites you may wish to sell

  19. #44
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    I haven't seen the Drupal method but I just don't like Drupal and can tell instantly when I see a site. It can be confusing and the output is almost always boxy. But this is personal taste and I'm sure others (like Kat) can give you the benefits of going with this system and where the promise is.
    While I DO find Drupal confusing, I've been really impressed when I've seen it used well...and most of the time, I can't tell from instantly looking at it. I have to view the site's source code.

    Here are some of my favs:
    http://www.projectopus.com/
    http://www.popsugar.com (GREAT article on Popsugar in Business 2.0 in Sept)
    http://www.terminus1525.ca/studio (VERY well done. The member pages are called their 'studios'. It's an artist community)
    http://www.lime.com/
    http://usmagazine.com/
    http://www.participate.net/
    http://netsquared.org/
    http://www.digett.com/
    http://www.teamfnx.com/
    http://www.twit.tv/
    http://drupalsites.net/weblink/fearless-living
    http://dev.smm.org/buzz/
    http://sojournhuntsville.org/
    http://www.homesecurityguru.com/
    http://www.visitpmr.com/
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

    oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

  20. #45
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GREAT sites Kat. I wonder how some of them were built and whether they still use drupal. I wonder just how much customization was done on some of them. drupal seems to have come a long way from where it used to be.

    What I do like a lot are some of the sites that have the same look and feel and the way the profile pages are laid out. I just wonder how much pain and sweat it takes to get sites to look the same way, e.g. notice the similarity between projectopus and teamsugar. If you could get that with a minimum amount of serious toil and with designers who know how to do work for a drupal site then I might consider it a good alternative. I don't know what the choices are for integrated forums although you might be able to shed light on this and the other questions.
    My law forum and legal information website -- I also buy websites you may wish to sell

  21. #46
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    GREAT sites Kat. I wonder how some of them were built and whether they still use drupal.
    They are all still on drupal. Here are a couple more that I think are really nice...

    http://www.ausmag.de/
    http://sand.yourmtb.com/
    http://www.yourclimbing.com/
    http://thatotherpaper.com/

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    What I do like a lot are some of the sites that have the same look and feel and the way the profile pages are laid out. I just wonder how much pain and sweat it takes to get sites to look the same way, e.g. notice the similarity between projectopus and teamsugar. If you could get that with a minimum amount of serious toil and with designers who know how to do work for a drupal site then I might consider it a good alternative.
    I think they are using the same 'profile template module' that exists over at drupal.org. Not too much toil

    I know that module is what was used for the profiles here: http://www.terminus1525.ca/studio

    This is the module:
    http://drupal.org/node/35728

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    I don't know what the choices are for integrated forums although you might be able to shed light on this and the other questions.
    The only ones I know of are the ones that come bundled with the platform, and vB integration.

    I haven't read through the entire 'groups' enhancement features but it looks interesting: http://drupal.org/node/59082

    Assuming you have a good designer, these folks claim they code themes for Drupal: http://www.psd2html.com/order-now.html
    "All" you would need on top of that is a good programmer familiar with Drupal to handle the programming.
    Last edited by Kat; Nov 28, 2006 at 10:52.
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

    oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

  22. #47
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another very well done site on drupal:
    http://www.mtv.co.uk/


    and one more:
    http://www.activeliving.org/
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

    oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

  23. #48
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Slinky,

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    The guys at zoints deserve a big hand for trying to bridge that gap. I admire their efforts although I do not care for handing over my users to a third party that holds my clients profiles. Plus the interface is confusing and to me I don't see the need for crossover to other communities like they have which will get more challenging in time. It's an idea.
    Thanks for the hand (and constructive cricism) With Zoints Local (which went gold last night), the profiles, blogs, networking, and everything else is on YOUR forum. A few examples:

    Forum: http://www.writersbeat.com
    Zoints Local: http://www.writersbeat.com/z/DFischer/

    Forum: http://tntu.net
    Zoints Local: http://tntu.net/z/Dave/

    Forum: http://sportbikesite.com/forums2
    Zoints Local: http://sportbikesite.com/forums2/z/Adrian/

    You are correct, we do work to interconnect forums as we strongly feel that is the future of online communities. We do that via a global search, link to our directory, and a "My Communities" block. With that said, as we do understand not everyone is comfortable with a solution like that (even if everything is free), we provide an Autonomous License for $120.00 which makes you just that, a standalone system not connected to outside communities or Zoints in any way.

    But hey, if I'm on X forum that uses Zoints and I need to find the answer to a law related question, the first place I click since it's right there is to check for Zoints communities related to law

  24. #49
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

    oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

  25. #50
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slinky: It's a mistake to think of drupal as a CMS rather than a development platform.

    There's a phpbb integration module here,http://kepp.net/drupal/

    There are also ones for vb and FUD Forum.

    http://drupal.org/project/fudforum
    http://www.vbdrupal.org/

    I personally love the forums module that comes with drupal and the flexibility that comes with being able to treat a forum as a just another node. I don't understand the need to integrate other forums, honestly.

    Look at the ausmag forums. I love that. I'm pretty sure you can't get anything that slick with vbdrupal.

    I hadn't seen terminus. That's really inspiring.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •