SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What To Look For When Hiring A Coder?

I dont know a thing about coding, and Im in the process of hiring someone to create a site for me. I'm investing a couple hundred in this, and Im kind of nervous because I honestly dont know what to look for. What questions should I be asking? What red flags should I look for? Ive seen some of their other work and tested it out a little bit...it looks fine but you never really know. Any tips?

Also Im trying to decide between having a script customized for me and having one made from scratch. Would one be better than the other?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've got doubts then ask for references, several. A site for a few hundred sounds a bit on the cheap side, if their sites got a reasonable PR then that might hint at other sites they've developed linking back to them - which is often as good as a reference

working hard is hard work

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly if you're only spending a couple hundred on real programming, it's going to be incredibly hit or miss, and I don't think there's any real way to gauge the expected quality before hand. Simply put, that is incredibly cheap.