SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My company's web site is www.prgx.com

I just learned that sometimes if you go into your browser and just type prgx.com it doesn't work. Do I need to put some kind of redirect script so that when people type in prgx.com that it goes directly to http://www.prgx.com? If so, could someone tell me how to do this? As my name indicates, I'm a bit of a novice at this stuff.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Novice,

This is more likely a matter for your webhost...contact them about the "www." prefix to the domain...the reason it does not always work (someone else correct me if I'm wrong), is that not all webhosts support this...I think AOL users also have a problem with it.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Under Construction!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commish,

Actually, I contacted our web host before posting here and they said that I had to put a script in. Are they just being uncooperative?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask them if they can enable wildcard subdomain searching on your account. Some hosts offer this but will never mention it. This will enable all XXXXXX.yourdomain.com queries to run through to your account. Now if you want mail.yourcompany.com to load one page while kids.yourcompany.com loads something else then you would need a redirection script set up as your default page.

If they still say you need a script verify that wildcard subdomain hunting is active on your site. You can find scripts to do this at ScriptSearch, CGI Resources, most ASP sites have a basic tutorial on redirection. You can probably find information on PHP sites about it as well. Look for URL Based Redirection.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com