User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Choosing Ruby and rails for development

Hi,

I've got a question regarding which language and/or framework to choose.

I'm in a situation where I'm about to start a web application development project. I'm not working as a programmer, but I went two years to university, two classes included Java and VB. For my main project i used PHP. I did this due to my interest in computers, and it's not related to my current job at all.

I've been allowed to start a project developing something similar to an information portal. This is sort of a "hobby" project and is to cost nothing. It will start small and will be expanded if successful. (and then I would get paid to do it..)

I'm starting from "scratch" and one personal goal is to learn a language and framework well.

I've been looking at PHP and Ruby (because of rails). Since I'm starting from the bottom I don't have any preference one way or the other. It seems to me that Ruby is a better choice long term, but is currently suffering from performance issues and a more complicated deployment process. My impression is also that the web server setup is more complicated.

Some has aslo complained about Rails as a bloated choice for a small/medium web project.

My heart tells me to go with Ruby and Rails, but I'm also leaning towards PHP as a fast, easy to setup choice with lots of frameworks and scripts to choose from.

Any thoughts on this?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you give some details about this project? How big will it be (how many things does it do?).

Ruby on Rails is fast enough, PHP is not much faster. If you have performance problems in Rails you'll have these in PHP, but unless you have to do complicated computations or very high traffic you won't have any performance problems.

It's true that it's more complicated to deploy Rails applications.

If it's a really small project PHP will probably be better.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The project will be some sort of CMS, including a simple document management system and some sort of interface where I show information from the database. This will mainly be a record over people. These records will be expanded (new fields added) when needed.

There are about 3000 emplyees, I guess only a few hundred will actually be in the target group and eventually use the system.

The system needs to be easy to maintain and expand, when ever new features are needed (or wanted)

The server also has to be set up on a windows server, by the company's IT staff (who for the record had never even heard of Ruby...)

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blasted
    The project will be some sort of CMS, including a simple document management system and some sort of interface where I show information from the database. This will mainly be a record over people. These records will be expanded (new fields added) when needed.

There are about 3000 emplyees, I guess only a few hundred will actually be in the target group and eventually use the system.

The system needs to be easy to maintain and expand, when ever new features are needed (or wanted)

The server also has to be set up on a windows server, by the company's IT staff (who for the record had never even heard of Ruby...)
    1. since this is a "freebie", use the language you want to learn. i know php reasonably well (intermediate), but i'm starting to focus on ruby (newbie).
    2. if it is db backed, RoR can be very successful. i'm planning on developing a mostly static website (informational) and i'll probably just use php to do it. i have another db based app that will definitely use rails.
    3. i think many devs put too high a focus on raw speed at the expense of developer enjoyment and efficiency.
    4. i'd try and see if one of the IT wouldn't mind setting up a linux box for this project. my company is basically windows only, but our IT guy is open to and knows linux, so my apps run on linux. i'm not sure how ruby runs on windows... you might want to find out if there is a performance hit.

if you do use php, i recommend getting a forms class (manuel lemos' forms class is outstanding) and a db abstraction layer (adodb has been great).

at the end of the day, though, i'd do whatever i wanted to do because it is gratis. i think both ways are plenty doable - but at the end of the project you'll know whatever language / framework you standardized on a LOT better than the one you didn't. my first app was php based and, guess what, i know php much better than ruby right now. my next db app will be RoR based, though, so i hope to close the gap.

good luck.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely will not have any speed problems with any language I know for this project.

Because your application is largely an interface to the database Rails will help you a lot.