SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serious Problem with PhpAdsNew

We keep getting this error which is causing the stats to stop counting. Could someone please help us. This is the error:

A serious problem with the database has been detected

Due to a serious problem with the database, phpAdsNew couldn't retrieve data (Can't open file: 'phpads_adstats.MYI' (errno: 145)).

The database table is probably corrupt and needs to be repaired. For more information about repairing corrupted tables please read the chapter Troubleshooting of the Administrator guide.

Someone please let me know if they can help.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It means what it says; the database table is corrupt and needs to be repaired. This can happen if the MySQL server dies suddenly while tables are still in memory, the machine is rebooted without cleanly shutting down MySQL first, the partition where the MySQL data directory is located has no free space, the phsyical memory in the server is bad, etc. You should contact your web host to find out what you can do about it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is happening every couple of days. Do you think this is an issue with the web host or the software itself? Does anyone know a way that this can be fixed so that it doesnt happen again in the future?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an issue with the web hosting server, not phpAdsNew. The most likely scenarios are either the server's being overloaded and can't keep up with the number of queries hitting the database (from you and other sites on that server), or the host has some type of resource limiting program running that's killing MySQL threads or PHP threads early and corrupting the table. There's not much you can do to try to fix it as any change in the MySQL configuration would require root access to the server which only your web host has. You need to talk to them about it (or get your own server ).

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the host is claiming that it is the program and they dont support any kind of software. Are you familiar with the program that maybe you would be able to help us out?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to get a new web host. There's no other way to deal with this since your host is obviously incompetent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree

I think Dan is correct. I use phpadnews on many sites and only had a problem recently when I moved up to a VPS from a reseller package. I started to have problems and the host highlighted problems within the script. We shut the scripts down and guess what, the problem remained. I suspect they were jamming too many VPS onto one box and it couldn't handle the load. Having root access with VPS allowed us to check the resource usage and it wasn't the script. To be honest I have never had a problem with a script and I have sites heading past 100,000 uniques a month with several million page views.

I moved immediatlely to a new host and haven't had a problem.

Dalt

I moved to a more credible host
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    You need to get a new web host. There's no other way to deal with this since your host is obviously incompetent.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    LOL

Couldn't have said it better myself.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you guys so much for your help. I guess we have some talking to do with the host about this problem.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to get the specifications from the host and it is a dedicated server. Here is what they have our ads running on:

Server Specs

HPDL380

2x 36GB SCSI drives mirrored [Hardware mirror]

Disk Space

C: total 7.81GB Available 1.52GB

D: total 26.0GB Available 9.26GB

2GB RAM

2x 2.8GHz Xeon processors

Software Specs

MS Windows 2003 SP1

MS IIS 6.0

Plesk for Windows v.7.5.5

MySQL 4.1.12

MS SQL 2000

Perl v5.8.6

PHP 4.3.11

Does anyone see an issue with phpadsnew running on these specs? Also, the error with the database crashing we wanted to know if there was an automated way that we could create a script that would automatically check to see if the database crashed and if so it would run a simple command to fix it. Is this possible?