User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP & CSS Vs. PHP + tables

Hi All
    I need to build a site that will have a database with some php code handling all the work.
    The layout will be based on a design of the companys print catalog.
    And the Print design isnt ready. So I need to start working on the php code already.
    I was thinking of whipping together a site in dreamweaver with some tables etc just to place all the elements and links and so on, and then have someone write the php code I need.I would then test the system and later as the design is ready, layout the actual site with css, then have the coder attach the code tto the new site.
    Can anyone estimate is that a method that will end up wasting time and effort as the eventual site will be done in css with no tables if possible?
    I mean I understand that some php code will surely have to look different but how big will the difference be, wil it be worth it?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Sami

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depends on your programmer.

If they are good and you tell them that you need the output changed eventually, it won’t need allot of work redone.

If not, some of the php code will need to be recoded.

But if you already know your design and that you will use CSS only, just give him the div ids you will use, and they can just add in the functionality.
    Then you work with your css file only to make it nicer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The business logic (selecting products) should be separated from presentation logic (creating the HTML structure, formatting data from display).
    Then the BL should not change, but only the presentational PHP that produces the HTML markup. You could even create a PDF of the catalogue using the same BL, but different presentation logic.
    mikehealy.com.au
    diigital.com art, design . Latest WorkSaturday Morning