SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there any Fortune 100 corporate sites developed in php?

In a blog entry regarding the state of coldfusion I read that many fortune 100 company sites are using CF so I decided (while I waited for my lunch to be delivered) to go through the list and see for myself (I made it to number 52). And it is true. But what really cought my eye was that there were sites in various different languages but NONE in php (at least that I could tell).

Why is this? Is there a reason that Fortune 100 companies do not use php for their sites? Are the developers for these companies not using php to be able to charge more, or is there an overlying reason for this other than php being to 'cheap' for them?

I also looked at a number of the top newspapers, retailers, Government sites and none were in php.

Why is php not considered for these applications? By being php developers are we limited to lower scale projects?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because PHP5 is the first version of PHP with decent OO support, PHP5 is still relatively new compared to other languages, there are still no or few mature frameworks for developing large applications in the language, and PHP is not backed by a well-known brand (like Microsoft for .NET, Macromedia/Adobe for CF). Zend Framework may make PHP more appealing but it's still not ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to remember reading an article that said they are no longer making updates for Cold Fusion. I can't remember where I saw it, but it was about 3 months ago.

But it is true then now is your chance, get a frame-work slapped together and go market it to the fortune 100 companies.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortune 100 companies will spend the money to have Microsoft themselves manage their sites and servers. If their windows crashes you can be sure there is someone on site from Microsoft (most likely a consultant, or a employee of the company trained by Microsoft) within 15 minutes to fix it.

PHP does not have the same immediate global support that Microsoft products carry.

Known sites that use php would be:
    Authorize.Net
    easyDNS
    google
    TrustCommerce
    WikiPedia
    Yahoo

I'm sure there are more, those are just some I know use PHP.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like foxstore is developed using php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google and Yahoo use php? Do they use it in their main interface or with add-on applications? Google/Yahoo are big wigs so if they use php it is great to know.

In my study of the F100s (I only made it to #58) my results were that .asp/.aspx was the most popular followed clossly by .jsp then .cfm, then .do (what is .do???), then some .shtml or .zhtml a few in perl-cgi. There were a few that I could not figure out what they were using. And there are a few that use a mix of languages depending on the section (asp for the store, cfm for the IR, etc..).

Note that not all the sited were very big applications, a few were real simple sites.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the F100s are old established companies and these type of companies don't use php because asp, jsp, perl, etc,. came first. To switch to php, they need to retrain their workforce, change their architecture, throw away their investments, etc., etc., If its not broke, don't fix it.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the primary reasons behind poor penetration of PHP into Enterprise level is absence of enterprise level support and, to some extent, marketing chicanery on its behalf. Zend certainly doesn’t wield as much muscle as Microsoft and Macromedia (Now Adobe) do. ActiveGrid is trying to turn around to the scenario, however. Moreover, with Oracle and IBM beefing up their support for PHP, it is likely that PHP pushes itself a bit deeper into the enterprise space. Personally, I do not believe PHP is inferior to ColdFusion in anyway though it does not have a superior framework as in ASP.NET. However, big corporation are beginning to take PHP seriously as underscored by the recent partnership between Microsoft and Zend formed to enhance PHP in Windows system.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dont think its as easy at looking at urls.

I work for a gov site and we use php extensively, though you wouldnt know it.

Our urls are .asp and .html.

The PHP.ini is set to not declare it uses the PHP engine.

I couldnt be arsed changing all the urls when we changed from asp many years ago. It feels like a disservice to PHP, but there we are.

My boss is happy, I am happy, and our website is very easy to develop.

I am sure there are many other sites that use php in the background but you'd never know it.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dev_cw
    Google and Yahoo use php? Do they use it in their main interface or with add-on applications? Google/Yahoo are big wigs so if they use php it is great to know.
    Yes, both Google and Yahoo! use PHP and hire PHP developers. Yahoo! has an entire PHP Developer Center run by their employees providing free code and information they've written.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not to avoid stating the obvious -- the google search engine is not created with php/mysql ... o_O

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    Yes, both Google and Yahoo! use PHP and hire PHP developers. Yahoo! has an entire PHP Developer Center run by their employees providing free code and information they've written.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also, dan, i can't find google sites explicitly endorsing PHP as backend. code.google.com doesn't count, since it "endorses" all languages.

personally, i love php. but, i admit i love it because it was designed so that even those who haven't had much formal training can easily get into it. that probably makes it less powerful than other languages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our urls are .asp and .html.
    Yes this is a good point. There were also a good 15% of sites that I could not identify at all for some reason or another, these could very well be hidden php (or closet php), as there could be others hidden behind other extensions. However there were still none that let it be known that they were using php.

I will continue down the list at some point (when I have some time to waste) to see if I can find at least one in php.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd be surprised how many companies use php. I know of one very large transportation company that has data on an oracle database, and accesses it via php. NASA uses php, go to the hubble site.

Sell crazy someplace else markl999's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of Yahoo! here's a presentation, "Making the Case for PHP at Yahoo!"
    Yahoo! also hired Rasmus Lerdorf (the creator of PHP) as chief PHP architect.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy devbanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think one of the major reasons is that PHP just wasn't written for Enterprise-level development, while Java, .NET, etc, were, not to mention the companies they have behind them (Sun and Microsoft). Take a dive in either Java or the .NET framework and you'll quickly see why PHP isn't being used widely in large companies.

I think it'd be too much of a shift of focus for PHP to ever focus on this type of market, since PHP is traditionally a language for novice programmers to be able to learn quickly.
    Laudetur Iesus Christus!
    Christ's Little Flock
    Jesus is the Good Shepherd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting topic.

I believe that PHP could be used for enterprise sites such as Y! or Goog. Why couldn't they use PHP? Its interpreter is fast. It parses quickly. It's scalable. Lots of helpful debugging tools and options. Throw PHP5 on a Linux server with a couple of gigs of RAM and you have a nice setup. However, I think the primary reason it hasn't quite "taken the corporate developer world by storm" is due to the lack of marketing. Like established, PHP doesn't have a huge corporation backing it up (e.g., Microsoft or Sun), but they could do a bit more marketing of their "product."
    Tipem no fancy sig, yup
    Need Neopets Help? Try Neopets
    fun adoptable eggs

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy devbanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scalable? I guess so, but these other languages are made to be scalable. I'm talking about the remoting capabilities; there's EJB in Java, etc. PHP has no such thing built in.

Where does Google use PHP? I thought they used Python.
    Laudetur Iesus Christus!
    Christ's Little Flock
    Jesus is the Good Shepherd

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackli
    not to avoid stating the obvious -- the google search engine is not created with php/mysql ... o_O
    The google toolbar was built in PHP but it seems they either went away from this or added in smoe mod_rewrite.

These used to be live pages, now they simply redirect or give you a page nto found:
    http://toolbar.google.com/whatsnew.php3

http://toolbar.google.com/falied.php3

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .do is a Struts extension (usually) [Java]