SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some advice needed

I together with some friends want to make a online game with RoR.
    Now I already saw some snippets and scripts out there that I could use to save work

But wondered if people had some advice for me on how that start and proceed if you will. Any user systems out there that I could use straight away, any tip is welcome.

Thnx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I don't like using the login generators (or any generator) for an application that will end up being deployed. It's fine for a super quick mock up or demo but I rather be completely in control for an application that will end up live. Besides, coding a user system only takes a few minutes (when you've done it a few times) and you get to tweak it to perfection.

Anyway, I don't know what else you need... so that's all the advice I can offer.
    Ohai!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk
    I together with some friends want to make a online game with RoR.
    Now I already saw some snippets and scripts out there that I could use to save work

But wondered if people had some advice for me on how that start and proceed if you will. Any user systems out there that I could use straight away, any tip is welcome.

Thnx
    rails is primarily designed for database applications, iirc.

is your game a database application?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Majglow, yea I was looking at some snippets for a login system. Doesnt look to hard to make.

Skeeterbug, I know rails is designed for db apps, the game will have MySQL backend. I am playing with the login system now. Getting the hang of Ruby, too bad I dont have any remote software for the server so all goes through Putty :-(

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majglow
    Personally, I don't like using the login generators (or any generator) for an application that will end up being deployed. It's fine for a super quick mock up or demo but I rather be completely in control for an application that will end up live. Besides, coding a user system only takes a few minutes (when you've done it a few times) and you get to tweak it to perfection.

Anyway, I don't know what else you need... so that's all the advice I can offer.
    Majglow, you are entirely missing the point of generators. They are there to generate code for common tasks (such as registration/login systems), thus saving you, the developer, time. They are functionally complete, but you are more than welcome to add or remove functionality as you see fit. The code they generate lie in models, views, and controllers, just like any code you write yourself.

Generators are time-savers.

Hajduk, try looking into the salted_hash_login_generator.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotgazpacho
    Hajduk, try looking into the salted_hash_login_generator.
    The preferred way to go nowadays is the acts_as_authenticated plugin (or restful_authentication if you're on edge rails and are going REST).

I think generators/plugins for this kind of thing are fine, especially since you can tweak the code to your liking once you generate it. For example, I almost always add fields to the user model/migration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thnx people.