SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys serious questions inside

Im going to try and not ramble on at this point but have a couple of serious questions...

For some background:

A. Ive thought of an online startup thats NOT being done at this point and time YET.

B. Im in talks with a few people on financing and getting a business plan together.

My questions are more a technical internet,website backend types of questions

Lets say for hypothetical reasons, that my company went bigtime out of the gate because the idea caught on with young kids age 11-22. Lets say that we had 1 million people signup on our website in the first two months alone. (NO ITS NOT A SOCIAL NETWORK OF ANYTYPE)

Im going to need a type of website where a user signs up and has a sort of 'my account'. Inside here it will have all kinds of personal information where the user can update it, answer questions, it will have payment recieved information as well as some other information inside of it.

Are there any types of premade software that could hand this types of numbers or more possibly, something that im sure we will have to edit pretty heavy to get it to do exactly what we want and hook to a database etc.

****im rereading what i just wrote in hopes that im making sense, the problem is at this point i dont want to divulge many details of the business or business model.*****

Also, is there someone that you can put me in touch with that may have a solution for me ?

Thanks in advance
    Steelejones

I ♥ PHP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steeljones, the truth is that if you believe this is going to be such a big hit, don't waste the time and hire a professional coder now to create something that does exactly what you need. Handling a million users shouldn't be anything too difficult for someone experienced with larger web applications.

I can tell you now though that a site that does not work properly, is slow, or poorly designed will possibly kill your idea before it begins.

Good luck!
    Jordan

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think its best to just start from scratch huh? Maybe your right, then you can add on if you need as you go. I just thought it might be easier to start with something and fix it up the way you need it.

Do you have any suggestions on someone who may be able to point me in the right direction for a coder ?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jordon, meant to ask in my last reply..

What do you think is the best to use on backend..

PHP, ASP, etc etc etc

I ♥ PHP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The truth is that it doesn't matter what you use, only on what your programmer is comfortable working in. PHP, ASP, CF, Ruby... They all do the same thing, it is just "how" they do them...

As for where to find someone? Consider Sitepoints "Looking To Hire" marketplace forum, there are a LOT of extremely skilled developers on these forums.

Kind regards,
    Jordan

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the site is targetting kids 11-22 how are you going to get payments from under 18's who don't have a credit card?

J Windebank is right when he says to find a professional coder or development company. Sure you can buy off the shelf software to run a site on but if it gets really big you will quickly outgrow it. You will need a solution that is solid and extendable as you need it.

PHP or ASP would be fine but you would need to consult the pro's to see which would be best for what you want to do. Also look into hosting requirements. It goes without saying that you'll need a dedicated server or two, with proper support, backup and plenty of bandwdth because you'll be getting lots of simultaeous users online and you will want to make sure pages are always served up as fast as possible.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bluedreamer,

Thanks for the reply, payments wont be coming from the kids actually, payments will be made to the kids. Anyhow I cant get too deep into what im doing yet..

Yes after more thought i think you two are right, i should go with something homemade from the ground up.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd consult a lawyer about anything to do with kids, particularly with payments going to children. Odds are you're going to need to parent's permission plus there are probably state and federal constraints which is probably why it's not been done before...

With regard to software, having a coder makes sense. Even if you could find premade software, with that many users and with personal info and money exchanging hands, you're going to need ongoing maintenance to handle things.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its all been taken care of
    http://shiretown.net "Local Discussion Forum"

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Windebank
    I can tell you now though that a site that does not work properly, is slow, or poorly designed will possibly kill your idea before it begins.
    Hasn't stopped myspace... :P