User Tag List

Thread: E-Book advice

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E-Book advice

I want to write a guide for something to sell, an e-book really.

I dont wish to give re-sale rights or want it to be distributed by people.

Is there any way I can stop this happening apart from just saying the usual jargon about it being copyrighted to me etc?

What if I find someone reselling it, what can I do about it?

Thanks for any advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross19821982
    I want to write a guide for something to sell, an e-book really.

I dont wish to give re-sale rights or want it to be distributed by people.

Is there any way I can stop this happening apart from just saying the usual jargon about it being copyrighted to me etc?
    You could try to do some sort of DRM scheme on it, but I wouldn't waste the energy if I were you. That's been tried for 30 years and it's never worked. If your ebook is worth pirating, it'll be pirated, simple as that. In fact, DRM probably makes it more likely to be pirated, as now you're providing a challenge.

Copyright really is the only protection you have, other than not releasing it at all. Register the book with the appropriate legal agencies and prepare to jealously protect your rights and interests. That's the best you can do.

What if I find someone reselling it, what can I do about it?
    Start by making sure you're covered legally (i.e., if you need to register your copyright to enforce it in court, do it). Then send a C&D (Cease and Desist) order stating that the offering infringes on your legal rights, demanding distribution to stop. In the U.S., you could also file a DMCA complaint and have the offending website shut down.

If none of that has any effect, in terms of legal action you'd have to get a lawyer involved at that point. Commercial copyright infringement can be an expensive crime.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to avoid ebook piracy is to not release it as an ebook at all. Instead release it as a paper book (i.e. self publish, or get someone to publish it for you).

Seriously, there's nothing that you can do to stop people pirating an ebook - if there was, I'd write an ebook about it.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the fact that Rob is a professional business to business copy writer, I'd take his advice VERY seriously if I were you. It also serves as a good way to bring yourself up to speed should you have to get an attorney involved.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, thanks, guess there isnt that much I can do then apart from what I sorta guessed.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox
    The best way to avoid ebook piracy is to not release it as an ebook at all. Instead release it as a paper book (i.e. self publish, or get someone to publish it for you).

Seriously, there's nothing that you can do to stop people pirating an ebook - if there was, I'd write an ebook about it.
    Even having it printed as a paper book instead of an e-book won't necessarily prevent piracy. Your book probably won't get pirated because of a lack of circulation and interest, but a lot of paper books get scanned and passed around on the internet. I remember hearing the last Rowling book was scanned and available for download hours after it was released.