SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Search/Replace in PHP. HELP!

Hi there,
    I'm trying to make a script that'll pull the latest Amazon.co.uk Top 10 videogames into a variabl (got that bit done) and then format to remove the extra gubbins.

Basically, I'm trying to get a table with the top ten listed in it.

My problem is, that the extra gubbins (reviews, add to basket etc) take up a good portion of the page. I need to pull the URL and Title of the item from the data that I have.

I could do it if I could work out how to find a string that has TWO bits of unknown information in it.

Each string will have a product code (ASIN) and game title. If it was just the ASIN that I needed, it would be no problem.

The string is formatted like this:-

Code:
    <a href=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/UNKNOWNPRODUCTCODE/ref=br_lf_li_1_2/><font face="verdana, arial, helvetica"><b>UNKNOWN GAME TITLE</b></font><br></a>
    How can I pull this string from a variable that is about 29k in size using PHP?

Help appreciated!

Are you ready for BSD? Marshall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can I pull this string from a variable that is about 29k in size using PHP?
    You'll either need to use the regular expression functions or write a custom parsing function. You'll probably find the latter option to be easier unless someone chimes in with the regexp solution. Since strings like "http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/" will be consistent across all pages you should have no problem using the strpos() and substr() functions to locate and retrieve the values that you're interested in.

- Marshall