SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

writing requirements

Do you need to be a software developer to write good requirements or be a project manager?

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    neither

although obviously, both of those types of people could obvioulsy do it
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Agreed

Many good software project managers are not good programmers at all - they moved their career in the management direction. The best ones, in my humble opinion, have an understanding of what it takes to develop software.

mp/m

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    yeah, but the question was about writing good requirements
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Clarification please

Ok, so I guess drakke needs to clarify why he is asking - is s/he seeking this for themself or someone else? Is s/he looking to hire someone or looking to move their career in a different direction?

mp/m

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zivo
    Ok, so I guess drakke needs to clarify why he is asking
    I am trying to educate myself on this skill. It's not that I cannot code at all, its that I don't enjoy it anymore.

I find coders have a different focus. If you are a developer you are interested in creating something functional to see something that actually works and not that tempted to plan and manage the actual process.

A program/project manager is more interested in making sure that the project is not a failure.

I'm sure a lot has been written about this elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Practice

Thanks for the info drakke.

Yes, you can do it! Many programmers/developers get to a point where they decide to branch in one direction to gain deeper knowledge in certain technology, or to go down a management/business analysis path.

If you are working in an IT shop,you can articulate this to management and try to get more involved in managing and mentoring staff, as well as writing requirements and specifications. Or depending on where you are, you may need to seek a new position where you can get more involved in it. Some companies are more interested in developing the skills of their employees than others.

Or you can do it on your own, writing specs on your own projects. There are many resources out there - books, examples - to help.

mp/m

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I write software specs for a living and I have no coding knowledge whatsoever.

I find that it's often an advantage when dealing with clients not to be burdened with that sort of info. The job of a requirements writer is to articulate the business needs of a client, those needs should be software and platform independent.

I then pass those requirements onto a system architect who decides on technologies, how to accomplish the tasks, etc...

With that said, there's no reason a developer/PM can't write requirements but you don't need a technical background to do so.

If you're bored with programming perhaps you should look at a software architect type position, then you get a little of both worlds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zivo
    Thanks for the info drakke.

Yes, you can do it! Many programmers/developers get to a point where they decide to branch in one direction to gain deeper knowledge in certain technology, or to go down a management/business analysis path.
    I think also you can do it. I'm sure you should just want to write it and you would be able!! I think there is no reason to worry about. Being a programmer you could also try some other "callings". The main point if you want you will.