User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copyright and trademark infringement

Hello,
    I run a website that displays photos taken in the early 20th century that were taken from the National Archives in Washington, DC. I have been getting lots of requests from people asking me to make available these same images in a high resolution format so they can print or perhaps use them commercially in their own products or whatever it may be. I now want to sell higher resolution formats on my website.

However, some of these photographs contain portraits of generals and other well-known figures (e.g. Doolittle, Eisenhower, Hitler, Bob Hope, etc) and I was wondering if I would be breaking any RIGHT OF PUBLICITY laws. Basically, i want to charge for the download of these images off my website, but I dont' want to be responsible for selling a photo that someone uses in a commercial project. If I were to put a disclaimer of some sort protecting me, am I still liable?

Also, what about trademarks such as Coca-Cola? I have several 1930s/1940s era photographs that feature these logos but were taken from government employees and are in the public domain. Again, I just want to provide higher resolution copies of these photos for download and charge a fee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one here can advise you. You'll need to sit down with a lawyer who is versed in laws pertaining to copyright regarding images in the National Archive.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You are making a big mistake if you are assuming all images in the National Archives are in the public domain. Here is their page on copyright restrictions.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown