SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

take content from one website and place on another

hello, is there any way of taking details of a website and place it on my own. For example, is there any way of taking the live league results of the bbc website (or any other website that offer this service) and post it on my own?
    Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds to me like you might want to use some sort of feed to pull your results to another site. I'd look into an RSS feed or something more complicated depending on what you want to do.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

syndicated feeds

Some syndicated feeds can be purchased (eg. up to date stock market figures), but many sites offer feeds for free. Make sure you read their TOS. Many are happy to let you use their content as long as you state something like "These results from football_scores_r_us.com" and link back to their page.
    You mentioned the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sta...on/default.stm
    Put the latest headlines on your website, free of charge ... Choose from sections like World, Entertainment, Business, Football, Formula 1, TV/Film or Animals. ... Sign up online. If your application is approved, we will send you the code for your site. You will then need to paste it into your web page code, and your chosen BBC Headline Box will provide your users with constantly updating headlines without any further input from you. ... BBCi is also developing other means of syndicating BBC News, BBC Sport and CBBC headlines.
    These other BBC links should help
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/help/3223484.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/shared/bsp/hi/...ml/default.stm

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have looked into rss feeds, however, for hat im looking for I dont seem to be able to find any. Im look to have a live football tables on my webiste.
    Ive had a look into trying to get a feed sorted for there, but with no joy.
    Therefore, I was thinking that I could just use some kind of javascipt code to actually pull the information off another website.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

football feed

Look a little closer at the pages I linked to. If you don't want the "easy" feed they offer, you can "create your own" http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/help/3223484.stm
    Can I make my own feeds?

It is possible to create your own feeds, by using the BBC News search engine. The first step is to choose a search term, and type it into the search engine as normal. When your search results load, then choose the "BBC News & Sport" tab. Review the new results, and if they accurately reflect the topic you have chosen you can now use the orange feeds button to add the selection to your news reader, or to your website.
    For an example, doing a BBC search for "football" and choosing the "sports" tab gives a feed starting with these results.
    * Armagh get Donegal Ulster opener
    Sat, 04 Nov 2006 17:36:20 GMT
    Ulster Football Champions Armagh will meet Donegal in the first round of next year's provincial championship.

* Score Seven
    Sat, 04 Nov 2006 17:24:53 GMT
    Win tickets to see a Premiership team of your choice!

* Coleman fury as coin hits Jensen
    Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:37:42 GMT
    Fulham boss Chris Coleman calls for action against the fan who struck Claus Jensen on the head with a coin.

* Kenya to start local competitions
    Sat, 04 Nov 2006 14:51:34 GMT
    Kenya government says the decision to dissolve the troubled KFF will not affect local competitions.

* Fulham 1-0 Everton
    Sat, 04 Nov 2006 14:43:42 GMT
    Claus Jensen's second-half goal is enough to earn Fulham the points against Everton.

* Bond sees silver lining in defeat
    Sat, 04 Nov 2006 14:27:52 GMT
    Bournemouth manager Kevin Bond says the Cherries played "some magnificent football" in their 4-2 defeat to Swansea.

* Shamed football manager keeps job
    Sat, 04 Nov 2006 14:25:50 GMT
    Boston United's chairman confirms the club's manager, convicted of fraud, will remain in his post.
    the full results are here
    http://newsapi.bbc.co.uk/feeds/searc...port/football#
    You could "fine tune" your search query if you need to. Then you just need to put the feed contents into the page using one of many feed parsers. Just to be safe make sure you identify the feed as having BBC content and keep the links back to their pages and you should be OK. You don't want to risk having your site shut down and getting into legal and financial trouble for content theft.