SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.sportsfiend.com

Discussion for sports enthusiasts. Opened just last week so I'm still trying to find some people to sign up. any tips?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Synergy Forums are a new field for me, it all started as a way i could learn some PHP but after 3 days of the site being open people started to register...... I didnt and have not promoted the site apart from the last few weeks exchanging links with others but the site is growing everyday.

All i want from the site is a place people can chat, have fun and share thoughts and whatever with others. Anyway have a look www.synergyforums.com
    General Chat Forum or General Chat Forum
    SYNERGY... Two Forces... One Power...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey nice site. How did you add that banner section the the right on your links forum? Very nifty

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FlaglerOnline: http://www.flagleronline.com

We created this community site dediacted to our local county. Fortunately, it took off well and it's been a massive source of web dev business for us. We have also ceased advertising requests as a sole sponsor purchased 80% of space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frags Argentina: http://www.frags.com.ar/

We are a small gamers community we started as a clan page and then we started growing. Slowly but growing.

Things that really worked and are working is SEO.

We've never promoted it. I started doing some SEO since the last 2 months... and I can tell you it works... our average number of visits was 130 and now is 200... and this in two months of SEO and updating contents.

So to me Content and SEO is the best way to increase traffic, visits, signups.

Software we use: vBulletin of course. PHP and MySQL for the database.

Now I'm creating the new layout for the page and I will focus more on SEO by using stats. That will help us to see what people is looking for.
    Quasar - Web Development - Free Avatars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started www.BigBlueBall.com a few years ago, originally just to have a place on the web to exercise my web development. It evolved to find a purpose 2-1/2 years ago, with a focus on instant messaging.

The things that have helped:

1. Persistence and consistency. Keep things fresh.
    2. Get people involved. Don't even imagine that you'll ever achieve a vibrant community by doing it all yourself. You'll end up with a community of one.
    3. Content. You'll do much better if you have content in addition to community. Too many sites are nothing more than a forum script. People (and search engines) need meat to sink their teeth into.
    4. Promotion. Create a newsletter, even if you can't publish regularly. Make sure your site is in your email signature, forum signature, etc...
    5. Get Listed. Make sure you work to optimize your site for the search engines.
    6. Persistence. Yeah, I know I'm repeating myself, but that's how important it is.
    Jeff Hester
    BigBlueBall | My latest project: SoCal Hiker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've started a local music fan community @ http://www.getsomenoise.com/forums

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not really my site but i'm also admin of it.

www.helpen.be is a dutch computer community forum, it uses phpBB and is a bit modded with useful features such as a quick reply box. in the feature we will be converting to an other php forum package will be written by a team member...

not that much promotion, we added our url to many link sites in the beginning and that gives a small snowball effect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My site is at www.thebookforum.com

It's two years old today

Been slowly evolving over that time. Started with ezboard before moving to vbulletin.

Tyring to work on promoting the site a bit more at the moment. Will probably be adding a newsletter in the new year. Maybe auctions and a webmail service. Not sure how useful they would be given the popularity of ebay and hotmail etc.
    Censura - Add reviews and ratings to your site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are still developing the site but its getting there. Should be done sometime next month maybe.

http://www.mp3reports.com

We plan to probably use Google, Overture, DarkBlue, SEO, and some other methods to promote the site once its finish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pdaPhoneHome

I have built the community at http://pdaPhoneHome.com using vBulletin and a portal hack - vBindex. I started with phpBB, but eventually found that it was too tough to do what I needed in it, and couldn't be happier with vBulletin. The site has become quite active with 100-200 people on most of the time. The site had its 1 year anniversary this week.

I have to agree with what others have said. I takes a ton of time and persistence to grow. It is very much a chicken and egg thing where you won't get people to come there unless people are already there. I've found that you need about a half dozen dedicated users to post everyday in a forum... sticking with it for a while, and then other people will join in. It is nearly impossible to do it with one or two people... just doesn't stick. You also have to find a niche that isn't already covered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.Smartclickz.com is a community forums which me and my cousin work on right now. It is a bit new but we r getting lots members everydays.
    The reason it getting bigger and bigger cuz of rich content, and besides that We provide Free webpolls, free forums, free guestbooks.
    Btw, members can also come to our site and add their link to our directory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://WebmasterGoods.com started out as a webmaster auctions site and it was really really hard to get people to join because there were not many auctions and there were not many buyers. I SEOed it to be on google #1 for "webmaster auctions" and i get a tiny bit of traffic from there. I get most of my traffic though from posting on forums with a sig link. We now have auctions, link directory, forums, traffic direct, SE submission, tutorials, articles, a newsletter and we are adding in the near future webstores, proxy bidding. and later on we will be adding PMing between members (not for sure yet), Web Hosting, Logo Design, Web Design
    128 bit Secure Certs, SEO, and free templates.

I think its quality and look of the site that is one of the key features to a community. Also you MUST MUST have ORIGINAL and HELPFUL/USEFUL content or why would anyone have a reason to stay?

I know this is not the type of communtiy that the rest of you have shown but it is nevertheless a community and i think its a rather nice one if anyone wants to say otherwise

Hope this helps!
    Kyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.iAsian.net
    i guess it's an asian community ...everyone is welcome to join

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bahamas Community - iBahamian.com

My community Bahamas and Caribbean Community is kinda similar to your idea.. I've been working on it a while but now I want to launch a bigger site with more features.. what do all of you think am I ready to expand..

http://bahamas.iboardplus.com/index.cgi

Quote Originally Posted by 1AsianChic
    Lanzer_: your site is totally awesome...i really love it....wish mine like that

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Community website that might be offensive to some

www.fthisjob.com

'I hate my job' blogging community started about 2 months ago using Drupal.
    Submit to dmoz and also optimize hate job keywords to get to top of google.
    google pagerank seem to jump after getting listed on dmoz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have www.TalkScripts.com a scripts discussion forum.
    I sent some emails to people i know and expecting to see them sign up.
    I think currently all i can do is to get members from other forums.
    I don't know what to do next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yea... talkscripts is doing great and there are a nice bit of helpful people there...even though we had our... uh...differences its still a great community.
    Kyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.vgchat.com/ Video game message boards. So yah, there teenagers!! It got just below 1,000 posts yesterday alone. During the summer some times it got wel over 2,000 posts a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My site is called "Talk Pets! "

Its 10 mos old, 740 or so members with 2-5 new members/day. Right now the board has a Thanksgiving theme, so the colors look weird.

So far it's been a lot of fun. The site has a built-in picture uploader to allow people to post pix of their pets and that has been very popular.

There have been downsides - pet topics often get very emotional, especially around the subjects of breeding and feeding, but I have a couple of great mods who are much more diplomatic than myself and can diffuse situations when they come up.
    Talk about pets and post pictures at Talk Pets!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our site www.glasgowapollo.com we contacted radio stations, national press, music press and posted messages on relavent news groups. We got a 10 minute interview on Radio Scotland which saw the site hits jump a little that day.

Plus we submitted the site to Google, and all the rest of the major free web search engines and directories.

We offered links to other sites who are related in some way to what we do.
    glasgowapollo.com website dedicated to the world famous rock and pop venue, the Glasgow Apollo

inthewilderness.com find lost friends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.sportsfreaks.net

Just been open a little more than a month with 14members. I'm having trouble getting traffic to the site, but I also havent done research due to time constraints with school. How did other people get traffic during the begining months?

Thanks.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.hostbubble.com

Its a true webhosting and domain name marketplace, all set to launch in a weeks to 10 days time. Its a meeting place for both buyers and sellers of the webhosting and domain name industry.

Cheers
    Hostology.info
    Articles, Guides, Glossary, Latest news and much more for
    hosting & Domain name community !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

Our Forums are about 2 weeks old and can be found at http://amsterdamaged.net

We are using VB and bought a skin from Vbulletinstyles.com which I customised.

The forum discusses all aspects of life in Amsterdam (Holland) so we started promoting the site on news groups about travel, hemp, drugs, gay scene etc. We have had an amazing response so far.

We noticed that alot of people were browsing the site without registering so we changed the forum permissions so the users could view the forum threads but if they wanted to read the posts then they had to sign up.

We also bought a few banners from http://bannersmall.com to help with the promotion.

Peace,

Synwave
    Good Girls go to Heaven-Bad Girls go to Amsterdam
    Amsterdams Online Community
    http://amsterdamaged.net

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hi,

I just started my new forum at my brand new site. It's targeted to the webmaster community,surf exchange community and affiliate earnings communities.

I have started a promotion where the best 10 posts for the week get paid $25, $10, $5 and $2 each. Hopefully this will encourage people to post often

http://www.4rebates.net/discussions/

I'm also looking out for forum moderators now and anyone wishing to join my team are very welcome. In return if I chose you as a mod you will get unlimited advertising in my 5 networked sites ranging from hosting, emailing, dating, betting and gaming.

Cheers
    Sandy