SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the Sitepoint Javascript book to "advanced" for someone new to learning javascript

I've been on Amazon and other places looking for the best book for learning javascript. It seems there are a lot of opinions about the best resource for someone totally new to javascript. I like Sitepoint books but, I'm wondering if it may assume prior knowledge of javascript. Any total newbs get the book and find it helpful? I've seen the W3C and "beginner" tutorials on the web but didn't find many of them helpful.

Thank you,

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend you "JavaScript Bible", it just rocks. Perfect to learn JavaScript with it and to later have as a reference book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Avoid SitePoint Javascript books, they're horrible in my opinion (especially DHTML utopia). If you have a programming background of any kind (at least the basics), then get Wrox's "Javascript For Web Developers". It's an excellent book with easy-to-follow examples, and makes the tough stuff pretty easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found the Wrox (I don't have a programming background) books and Bible books a little intimidating due to their size. I'm bummed to hear such a strong reaction to the Sitepoint book? Hmmm....

I need a JS book with training wheels :^ )

M

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Avoid SitePoint Javascript books, they're horrible in my opinion (especially DHTML utopia)
    It's one of my favourite books.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the SitePoint books very terse with tons of concepts to understand. I don't consider myself an advanced programmer, but a decent one anyway and the Javascript books are tough to figure out.

But after you actually get through some of it's thick skin, it does start to make sense and offer some good albeit advanced soutions.
    RichTestani
    -------------------------------
    http://www.junkdepot.com
    http://www.rareoopdvds.com | The Movie Poster Site

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have programming experience (php) and im currently on page 88 (of 1752 ) of the JavaScript bible, its simple to understand and explains all you need to know to start using javascript. The only thing i have against it is id like to start writing proper programs instead of learning functions (it does however have exercises at the end of each chapter for a recap). I guess i cant be too picky seeing as im only on page 88
    "Am I the only one doing ASP.NET in Delphi(Pascal)?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4
    It's one of my favourite books.
    Wait until you read the book i've mentioned (or any decent book on this matter), and you'll probably change your mind.

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I suppose for the orignal question - yes 'DHTML Utopia' would be too hard to understand for a beginner. It does require a fairly high degree of programming knowledge and covers in depth topics very quickly. Admittedly I did have to re-read and actually test out everything I was reading to make it sink in, I just didn't think it deserved a "horrible" label is all, I found the concepts in the book a breath of fresh air (unobtrusive javascript, server-side / client-side validation, event capturing, function sniffing etc..)

Edit: Ohh, and I have read that book too I just realised. It is very much more structured and easy to follow, yes I agree.

SitePoint Enthusiast projection83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepejeria
    I recommend you "JavaScript Bible", it just rocks. Perfect to learn JavaScript with it and to later have as a reference book.
    how useless are old versions? (the lastest I found was 2004, and there is also one from 2001)