SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Showing Your Business Certificate?

I was just wondering, do any of you show your business certificate on the web? I run a web design business and I recently got my business registered http://www1.sos.state.oh.us/reports/...D=200630402502 and was wondering if I should show a link on my business website to show that its legit. Anyone else do this?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a good idea. not a link to your certificate, but incorporation info for sure. some countries [especially european] have laws that you must give your business info on a web site. in germany, it's a must to have impressum on your site.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go for the incorporation info. Don't post the actual link to your certificate. Some idiot could just come along in the future with a domain name similar to yours and try to conduct business under YOUR name using YOUR certificate while claiming it's theirs (don't laugh - it could theoretically happen).

At which point, your wrath will be the least of their concerns.

Additionally, you'll want to frame the certificate in your office where your clients can see it as well. Remember most of your business will be coming in from word of mouth and off-line advertising/marketing/networking. The Web is not like the ball park in the movie "Field of Dreams" - if you build it, they will come.

Yeah, right. I'm sure that even Jeffery Zeldman's company (HappyCog) gets most of its business the old-fashioned way. Yours will most likely be no different.

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some states require you have the certificate/authorization posted in public view for physical businesses. I don't know of any that require it for the web side.

But it would not hurt. It'll enhance the appearance of legitimacy.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say that I've ever seen a business certificate displayed online. In my country we just write the registration number. Then anyone can check it online.
    George Skee
    Follow me at GeorgeSkee.com