SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guess the oddity( I'm sure that's an Americanism) makes for the diverse interest and gives us something to discuss Robert. Which is why I often take the opposite view sometimes just to keep debate alive. Much to my chagrin.I never learn I've always been a trouble maker.
    Keep writing that great stuff. I'll go out of ny way to find something to pick on! Take good care. BC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitochondrion
    The goal is to make me a savvy negotiator so I can negotiate a good contract and also to manage projects like a pro.

Web design books tend to focus on ActionScript and PHP and nothing else...
    Unfortunately for most of us, we learn by getting burned.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol go to college join debate team and take speech then that would help you alot with negotiating with clients lol

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk to Small Business Owners

Talking to small business owners is probably your best bet. They've all been through this before and have dealt with disputes, whether they be payment-related or otherwise. Make sure you get every little detail in the contract and make sure the client understands it and has the same expectations as you. And last, but certainly not least, make sure you get some upfront payment.

Joseph
    MCM Web Solutions - Website Development - Raleigh, NC

SitePoint Enthusiast imagineinternet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The business side of running a web design firm is definitely learned by making mistakes and educating yourself. If you don't know it, learn it or find someone smarter than you to handle it for you. IMO everyone should start out with a good lawyer and an accountant (trade services with them if money is an issue Those two people will help you a TON. From there here is my list of top places to learn the business side of things:

1. Business Coach. Having a well seasoned business coach has been the single best thing I have done. In the US, the Small Business Administration (SBA) funds what they call Small Business Development Centers. In my city it is run out of the community college. I get FREE business counseling from several counselors that have built and managed dozens of companies between them, and are wizards with financials, legal issues, human resources, and the other business aspects.

2. College Degree. I am finishing up my business management degree. This has helped me gain a good understanding of a wide range of business topics. Expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

3. Brandon Sinclair's Web Design Business Kit is a must for any professional design/development firm, especially when you are first starting out.

4. Join the local Small Business Association. I literally started my business networking with other small businesses, and grew from there. Now I don't get much business from that group, but the friendships with other small business owners are invaluable.

Sadly, I thought I was starting a web design business so I could have fun designing sites all day. In actuality I spend more time running the business than I do working on sites.
    Uptime + Quality + Keyword + Popularity Monitoring
    EZ Website Monitoring

Go Web Solutions - LOVE your website!