SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monotonizing a website without adsense etc

Is there anyone making substantial money out there from a website without plastering txt ads like adsense all over it ? I personally leave most every site i come to thats plastered with adsense, im unsure but I just dont like it in a professional sense.

I have an idea for a website that will not work with a subscription model, and of course i dont like adsense etc so it looks like i might be out of luck, outside of banner ads. I know there are places that pay big bucks for banner ads, like in teh paintball business that im currently in there are sites where paintball companys are paying over $1100 a month for a banner ad. In this case I dont think my idea will have that kind of pull. So im unsure really what I can do or potentially do..
    http://shiretown.net "Local Discussion Forum"

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about selling a product to your readers? We did this on one of our tutorial sites to help pay for hosting and it worked so well that we eventually created a full ecommerce site selling more and more of these products. The tutorial site now just acts as a feeder to the ecom site and the ecom site now actually accounts for the majority of my income!

In our case we just expanded the tutorial idea and created a 250 page 'premium' tutorial ebook. We now sell 8 different ebooks (some written by third parties) and also sell other digital products.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting Shadow,

I think I could possibly create maybe one or two 'services' but im unsure how substantial the income could be produced.

I know everyone is trying to do the same thing, build a website that they can live off, and after spending hundreds if not thousands of hours getting the traffic, finding ways to pay the hosting, transfer costs etc then you have to monotonize it somehow.

Im unsure if im ready to tackle the project full steam ahead untill i can figure out ahead of time and have a plan in place to make money.

Thanks for your reply

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelejones
    ...then you have to monotonize it somehow.
    judging by the web sites i have seen whose sole purpose is to make money, they are all monotonized already

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two main ways to monetize a site

sell things (includes subscriptions)
    sell ads

If you're not comfortable with the above then you need to rely on donations, and that almost never works out.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not saying Im not confortable, i really do think that i have a great public help website that will take contributions from people to make it work etc, it could have alot of decent articles and what not on it as well. But Im unaware of a way to make money from it in the long term....

Im still thinking....