SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Web Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pitching a redesign

It's been 5 years since my organization's last major redesign. My Marketing Department is pitching the organization for a large chunk of change to do a major overhaul including a look and feel that better matches our current branding, better merchandising, shopping cart, internal search, etc.

Looking for industry wisdom on the importance of investing in the web, particularly short, pithy statements from recognized authorities. Like, "If you aren't investing in your website, you will soon be toast."

Any thoughts, directions?
    Paul C.
    ClickBasics
    http://www.clickbasics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcj2
    Looking for industry wisdom on the importance of investing in the web, particularly short, pithy statements from recognized authorities. Like, "If you aren't investing in your website, you will soon be toast."
    Pithy don't sell projects. I wish it was that easy.

You're a web manager. Surely there must be a good reason to update their web presence other than mere age - you've just listed a bunch of them. I'd probably focus on brand identification and merchandising.

I'd also strongly bring up that, more and more, a company's website is becoming the front line in sales and marketing. That's not pithy - I see that every day working with my clients, most of whom depend on high industry credibility to sell their products. They're finding that their prospects go straight to the Web looking for them, right off, before even returning the salesman's call. Business websites have already supplanted the Yellow Pages, direct mail and cold calling in the B2B world, and they're now aiming to take out print collateral and advertising. The website is a big deal now for high-cred businesses.

Web Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Robert
    Paul C.
    ClickBasics

Web Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a little more info on our site. The url is http://www.kripalu.org. We sell directly to consumers. Our business is education - a residential yoga and health retreat center. Our primary sales tool is a catalog of programs. The web has gained from 10% to 20% reservations over the last 5 years. However, the web is still considered a less important sales tool by the administration.
    Our reservations conversion rate is 0.47% and reservation request abandonment rate is 89.45%.

Paul C.
    ClickBasics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcj2
    Here's a little more info on our site. The url is http://www.kripalu.org. We sell directly to consumers. Our business is education - a residential yoga and health retreat center. Our primary sales tool is a catalog of programs. The web has gained from 10% to 20% reservations over the last 5 years. However, the web is still considered a less important sales tool by the administration.
    Our reservations conversion rate is 0.47% and reservation request abandonment rate is 89.45%.

I've got some thoughts, but I'd rather not share them over the public forum. If you're interested, email me at writer@rswarren.com (no charge, just friendly private conversation).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Not what I was expecting

I have heard of Kripalu - even lived in the Berkshires for a while - and this was the first time I saw your Web site... it wasn't what I was expecting.

For some people, your product is an escape or vacation, a change of pace to get out of the rat race of normal life, get away to Lenox and have a great experience. I don't see that in your Web site - it looks too much like what people are trying to get away from!

I always ask clients to incorporate feedback on their Web site as part of their sales process. Asking people simply if 1) they have seen your Web site and 2) to comment on it are simple, quick ways of getting feedback without being invasive and sounding like a survey. You get better information from direct, pointed questions, but they are not always appropriate all of the time.

mp/m