User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

trying to write compliments

Hi guys,
    last week i went for a training session in a partner company of our company, my trainer and training fascilities were really good, now i want to thanks them all through email but its confusing for me whenever i try to write something, i have no idea how to thanks them for such a good training..

please let me know also if you have any hint about improving verbal and letter/email writing skills

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The compliments should be not long but substantial enough to let the person realise her/his meaning and importance for you. You should emphasize some strong points of his/her personality but you should do it so insensibly, so softly-softly, so subtly that this person should really believe and realize that your compliments are true confession of his/her talants.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    1.If you don't know the person's name, a good way to start your letter is with the word "Greetings". If you know their name, use it.

2.Identify yourself. That doesn't mean start with "My name is..." They won't remember it anyway and this note is about them, not you. Start with "I recently attended your (name of seminar) in (place) and wanted to thank you for the valuable training."

3. Mention one or two specific things you found most valuable.

4. Mention how the seminar will help you.

5. Thank them again. "Thank you again".

6. Respectfully Yours (I like "Kind Regards" and "Sincerely" or "Sincerely Yours" also work well) Then add your name
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed with all the above advice. Keep it nice and short (probably under 100 words if you can - longer than that, it's not a note, it's a letter), keep it casual, end with a "Sincerely" or something similar (I commonly use "My best").

On breaking blocks:

Write long and cut short. Sit down and just ramble on for about a page. Get it out of your system. Then selectively edit the thing down to size.

If you're really crunched for something to say, tell it to a tape recorder. Transcribe it, cut the word count by half without losing anything important, and then play the tape again to see if you managed to keep your original natural sound.

Another block-buster that works for me is writing it in filth-laden obscenity, stereotyped ghetto jive from a bad 1970's blaxploitation movie (remember the little old lady from "Airplane"?), or both. Have fun with it. Then go back and clean it up, getting across the same ideas without being offensive about it. Giving yourself permission to be outrageous can work wonders.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Warren

Another block-buster that works for me is writing it in filth-laden obscenity, stereotyped ghetto jive from a bad 1970's blaxploitation movie (remember the little old lady from "Airplane"?), or both. Have fun with it. Then go back and clean it up, getting across the same ideas without being offensive about it. Giving yourself permission to be outrageous can work wonders.
    Absolutley ingenious!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up By hand

Sometimes a handwritten note speaks more than a printed letter or email...

mp/m