SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How do you guys manage Payment for Projects?

Hi All,

I was wondering how you guys manage payment for any projects you undertake?

More specifically, by what means do you recieve your payment from the client (direct to bank account, paypal, WireTransfer)?

Also, how do you pay your freelancers that may help you with a project?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That varies according to the client and the project. The general normal method is to take a deposit up front to cover your costs with the balance due when the site is handed over. Of course for big and long projects you could also take interim payments when certain stages are completed.

My clients can pay any way they want, cheque, card, Paypal even cash!

If I use a freelancer any payment is always either on their terms or what we agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperRobot5000
    Hi All,

I was wondering how you guys manage payment for any projects you undertake?

More specifically, by what means do you recieve your payment from the client (direct to bank account, paypal, WireTransfer)?
    Checks preferred for domestic, check or wire transfer preferred for international (I have one client in Switzerland and a couple in Canada). I have money orders on my list of allowed payment methods, but I've never once had that happen. As most of my clients are corporate, A/P-cut checks are the usual medium of choice all around.

I took PayPal for a while but finally stopped for the same reasons I don't take credit cards: I don't get the request from legitimate clients often enough to justify the cost. Also, I sensed that listing PayPal as a payment option gave me a certain amateurish look I didn't like, as well as attracted the wrong types.

When one of my prospects can't/won't write a check, it's usually because they can't afford the project, and they're getting into hock for a dream. No, thanks. I've been asked exactly three times in five years about credit cards by corporate clients, each time only to ensure that I got my money ASAP, and each time I assured them that I wasn't worried and check was fine - the delay wouldn't slow down the project start. The check then went out and the subject didn't come up again. It's never killed a corporate deal; they write checks all the time, and I almost never have payment problems with them.

Also, how do you pay your freelancers that may help you with a project?
    Check. In my line of work, I don't outsource much (and not at all for writing); usually the other freelancers are signed directly with the client rather than me. My associates are also all here in the U.S., people I know and trust and have good relationships with. In that situation, check works best all the way around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wire transfer for me or personally (if we're in the same town). Cannot use Paypal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I accept usually mostly checks and sometimes credit card. I invoice them through my online invoice software and they send a check or pay online.