SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

scriptaculous autocomplete ALMOST working - help?

EDIT Nov 1: worked around the issue with javascirpt array.

The code below does bring up a list of names when typing begins. BUT, it brings the entire list every time no matter what you type. For example, I type an "m" in the field and the list starts with "A". Th elist has over a hundred so it should narrow the search as you type more, it does not.

I got the scriptaculous autocomplete.LOCAL to work fine. I can not use that version because I need to add an additional value the field (see documentation) and update a field afterUpdate.

The results.php is a database call that creates a file with proper scritaculous formatting like:
    <ul><li>name1</li><li>name2</li><li>name3</li>...</ul>

Here's the code:

HTML Code:
    <input id="companies" name="companies" autocomplete="off" size="40" type="text" value="" />
    <div class="page_name_auto_complete" id="company_list" style="display:none;border:1px solid black;background-color:white;"></div>
    <input type="hidden" name="company_id" id="company_id" value=""/>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <![CDATA[
    new Ajax.Autocompleter('companies', 'company_list','results.php', {});
    // ]]>
    </script>
    Any ideas how to get this to narrow down the selection as you type instead of showing ALL choices when ANYTHING is typed?
    Last edited by WebDevGuy; Nov 1, 2006 at 03:51.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I asked myself the same question and finally found a solution (an easy one too . I posted it here:
    http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptac....Autocompleter

Basically, all you do is extend your Class-call with a token paramName and then catch this param in your results.php (e.g. $_REQUEST["search"]) and use it in your SQL WHERE-clause:
    HTML Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <![CDATA[
    new Ajax.Autocompleter('companies', 'company_list','results.php', {paramName: 'search'});
    // ]]>
    </script>
    Hope this helps

Cheers