SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I set my subscriptions to "do not email" - it works great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mhulse
    Not a fan of contests... Design prostitution perhaps?
    That's a new one, Mickey. I'll have to remember that.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz
    Why Toasty?
    Word on the street is he's pretty good with buttons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a couple of complaints about the volume of automated emails about new entries, so I have disabled the emails about new entries for entrants. We'll give you the option to 'subscribe' soon, which means if you choose to subscribe you'll get new emails. The contest holder will always get emails about entries.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

<code></code><WoW></WoW> nukeemusn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suggestion: Somehow make it to that a contest entrant's visits to his own entry (for staring lovingly at it, or to post comments), don't add to the total view, as it could skew whatever those numbers are supposed to mean. I looked at one of my entries a bunch of times, and only after did I notice that it was counting my own views. IT's kind of like nominating yourself for an award...
    My Blog
    The Obsidian Order - WoW Guild on US-Nagrand
    nukeemusn = Nuclear Electricians Mate US Navy

Into another Dimension liam_uk7's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks great, nice to see! But i think the buttons could be improved. But its a nice new system, good work!
    Function - Great Design Meets Great Functionality

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnydojo
    The only thing that I'd suggest at the moment is picking up the special red phone in the library and getting straight on the line to FrozenToast to cook up some spruced up buttons.
    Good suggestion, the current buttons are horrible. Everything else which has been done looks quite good though.

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz
    Why Toasty?
    That MOTM badge under your name was designed by Toasty (Andy)
    Oh, and mine too
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    superb system.. i like it
    maybe the format/layout could be changed..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've viewed my demo entry 111 times now and I'm getting a little bored keep clicking it to keep increasing my view count.
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nukeemusn
    Suggestion: Somehow make it to that a contest entrant's visits to his own entry (for staring lovingly at it, or to post comments), don't add to the total view, as it could skew whatever those numbers are supposed to mean. I looked at one of my entries a bunch of times, and only after did I notice that it was counting my own views. IT's kind of like nominating yourself for an award...
    haha people actually use the views column as an indicator for something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A measure of popularity. I use it on Flickr...

heh... and ****...

hey, it wouldn't let me say the d word!
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a fan of contests... Design prostitution perhaps?
    Understand the sentiment but don't quite get the metaphor. Don't we all get paid to do it - I mean design. Perhaps design promiscuity? No level of commitment needed.

~Design Contests Freak~ khuldun's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically Ive been waiting to let out what i have had in my mind for so long and i think this is the best place to do it. Having been an old contestant (Was simply a bystander for some years until i took part in my first contest
    and won and then kept losing and just when i was about to quit, i started winning!), i have seen quite a few issues that i thought could have been avoided. Hence this long rant.

Anyways, here are a few suggestions that i have and i think mmj and co. should seriously consider these.

Suggestion # 1

In order to eliminate the abandoned contests and contest holders running away with files without paying for them, i think an escrow sort of service can be implemented. Where the CH would have to pay atleast half of the money to SitePoint before hand and after he/she announces the winner shall be sent over to the winner who shall send the files so that the remaining half of the prize is paid.

It would promote more serious contests and also more successfully completed contests without any complaints on either side. I think SPF can either hire a person specially for contests and also to manage the escrow services or just get a software programmed for it, again either inhouse or through so many talented prorammers on the forum here.

Suggestion # 2

In order to make sure that CH gets the right work for his money there should be some sort of scrunity or selection criteria for contestants so that only serious and experienced designers take part and there are quick and effecient contests. With so many amateur designers just trying out and getting experience (in their words), i personally think that it has lead to a non-professional contest being carried out, in the sense that the contestants dont show maturity and professionalism. Also this will help curb copying of other designs as newbies usually do and also make the community more professional and be beneficial for the purpose of the contests.

The criteria cvould either be a good portfolio, number of posts or time spent on the forums, taking part in the web dev forums as well or any other good criteria. Experience and number of contests participated and won should prominently displayed alongside each members visible profile so that the CH knows who he is dealing with. Not saying that experienced and older contestants would always be fair and free ffrom copying or stuff, but again, it will add to professionalism.

Suggestion # 3

This I think is a much needed suggestion that really needs to be implemeneted (atleast thats what i think). There should be a time where the contest holders should initially receive all the entries and the entries should only be visible to the contest holder. The CH would then give detailed individual feedback for a second round of entries based on feedback which shall be visible to all so that the intial concept copying is not done and contestants only build on their own concepts.

If a CH likes two different concepts he can work on them more for a third round and if he still feels both entries are a mixture of what he likes. He can declare them joint winners for a 50/50 split and then work with one of them to complete the entry out of the two conepts.

These are mere my own ideas and suggestions that i deem should be communicated to the policy makers here, so that atleast i know whther these ideas are feasible, easy to implement or acceptable to all or not.

""I would really love feedback on my ideas""

PS: I think the new design contest area is great and is a start towards making the marketplace, a complaints-less area.

Regards
    Khuldun
    TutorialDEN - Free Photoshop, CSS, Flash, PHP tutorials

PoetryLovePoems - Classic & Modern Romantic Love Poems

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like #2 and it should be easy to do based on permissions and post count which is available in Vbulletin. #3 would take some programming thought and I like some elements of it but I think the complexity of it might not be worth it to Sitepoint. It also would change the dynamics of last minute entries which are often the best.

Unfortunately #1 is off the table as I understand it - at least for now. It involves Sitepoint getting into a new business model, taking on an entirely new financial system and opening themselves up to alot of hassles and legalities not to mention having to hire people to administer all of that. We have to understand Contests are not Sitepoint's central business model like Guru or Elance.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, never did a contest before. So, I can do a coded web template that originally cost $200 for $10??? Not sure I understand what is meant by "half price".

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about feedback for contest winners. I'm dealing with someone now that I've paid some money upfront and has now stopped work!

He won't repsond to email either. It would be nice for us to post feedback on winners.

I've run several contests on the site, and love them for helping me get work done for my sites.

And I would love to have a escrow type system to place the money in until the project is complete.

Right now I'm out $235(fortunately just part of the total prize) and still don't have the design done.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skunker
    Hi, never did a contest before. So, I can do a coded web template that originally cost $200 for $10??? Not sure I understand what is meant by "half price".
    Half price on the contest fee of $20. What you pay the designer who wins is on top of that. and yeah coded is minimum $200 with no half price - its already more than low enough.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, had some more time to poke around in the new system and MMJ its really nice. Good job. Don't make them give you too much gruff about the buttons. Thats an easy fix. Of course you had to see it coming. redesigning in a designer centric section is open season.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the new concept. Might even tempt me to participate.

As mentioned above, an escrow account would be great, that way both sides could be held to their commitment -- Datura
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Harbottle
    good suggestion maginno. we can set the default at 7 days and recommend that contest holders use 7 to 10 days.
    Hmm. Since I've seen one designer making an argument for longer contest I think 10 days would be a good compromise. More than enough time for the default contest length. I definitely don't enter a contest with over a week to go. Too much time for the concept thieves.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I second the escrow system.

Graphic Designer silver trophy Dache's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The statistics part of this is interesting. Will stats from the pasts contests be implemented or will there be a clean slate for contest holders and contest winners?
    | identity | print | webdesign | typography |
    | My portfolio www.dache.ch |
    | Contact : email |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Here's one...

I do not know many other places a company or an individual could go to get a bunch of great work for dirt cheap...
    Try being a musician!

LOL!

SitePoint Wizard Pedro Monteiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is SUPERB!