SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how long SP will take to implement this contest length restriction. Nowadays all logo contests are 20+ days. I mean it's ok if it's say a 500 dollar contest. But even 100 dollar contests are held for a month. I think this idea might work. If they want to extend the contest length they need to pay more.
    Personally I think only those contests with a comparitively higher prize money will need a longer deadline. And if they pay such a high price for a logo they wouldn't mind paying extra to extend the contest length. So yeah there should be restrictions on contest lengths.. Say 7 days max for a logo and every other design task and 14 days for a template/skin. And if they want say an extra week then they pay 10 or whatever SP recommends. Just an opinion.
    I hate mascots:|
    WebHosting

SitePoint Cofounder Mark Harbottle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helix7 - please send me your list of serial offenders, and I'll follow up with each of them personally to formally remind them of their obligations.

You have to trust me when I say that limiting abandonment is a high priority for us. We're working through a number of possible solutions. Some of the improvements are obvious and have been suggested many times, while others are not so obvious and need more work to fully consider the implications.

Protecting designers is more important to us than keeping dud contest holders. I stand by that statement, and I'll let our actions speak louder than our words over the coming weeks and months.

I know it's frustrating waiting for these changes to occur. All I can say is keep being constructive in your criticism. Let us know how you think we can solve the problems rather than simply pointing them out, so we can throw your suggestions into the pot and decide on the best way forward.
    Mark Harbottle - Co-Founder
    sitepoint.com - Master The Web!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I wonder how long SP will take to implement this contest length restriction. Nowadays all logo contests are 20+ days. I mean it's ok if it's say a 500 dollar contest. But even 100 dollar contests are held for a month. I think this idea might work. If they want to extend the contest length they need to pay more.
    Personally I think only those contests with a comparitively higher prize money will need a longer deadline. And if they pay such a high price for a logo they wouldn't mind paying extra to extend the contest length. So yeah there should be restrictions on contest lengths.. Say 7 days max for a logo and every other design task and 14 days for a template/skin. And if they want say an extra week then they pay 10 or whatever SP recommends. Just an opinion.
    Perfectly agree with your opinion, winger. Also, when you think of the increasing number of abandoned contests around here, which took forever until they reached their deadline, you can easily realize that, in most cases, the contest holder just wanted to squeeze in more ideas from a designer's work at the end of the day.
    I, for one, am eagerly waiting for new improvements.
    logo design | identity design
    www.greenidentity.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totaly agree with what Helix7 wrote on the previous page.

There is also one other quite frequent problem I would like to add to that list... the 'behind the scenes' agreements or if I may say 'lobbying' which I thought was/is forbidden. It's very annoying that CH who started a design contest for uncoded template at the end chooses the winner upon his/her promises that he/she will make the coded template too. What is even worst... usually this 'backstage agreements' are the reasons for delays in declaring the winner... while all the other contestants (thinking that they still have chances) politely await the decision.

And what about this guideline for CH: "The following behavior is unacceptable: Leaving a contest idle for 7 days or more. If you do so, your contest will be considered abandoned." I know for at least two contests that are practically abandoned but still in phase "Contest Expired" and even without the possibility to post comments. Actually I reported one yesterday...

I know that I should write some solutions for problems instead of complaints but I don't know any effective at the moment...

(sorry for the grammar... )
    Moni

SitePoint Cofounder Mark Harbottle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, we've gone ahead and reduced all contests to a MAX of 10 days long. This was a quick fix, we'll introduce the upsell to extend contests in the coming weeks!
    Mark Harbottle - Co-Founder
    sitepoint.com - Master The Web!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a nice update, Mark. I like it. I think the longer the contest the greater the chance of shoddy/no feedback and abandonment. So hopefully this will help with those issues.

You rarely get better entries in 4 weeks than you would in 2, anyway.
    Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent change It will make contests a little more dynamic.

... and I agree with you, Bleys, although I usually submit my designs at the near end. But that's not because I wouldn't have enough time generally but because I usually (not always) wait for a while to see what has CH wrote to others and thus get some more idea of what he/she wants -the design brief 'issue' that I wrote about a few pages back. Now that contests are shorter all ideas will come out much sooner.

On the other hand, since I usually work on many projects simultaneously (not just here), I will now have to skip some contests.
    Moni

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Harbottle View Post
    Okay, we've gone ahead and reduced all contests to a MAX of 10 days long. This was a quick fix, we'll introduce the upsell to extend contests in the coming weeks!

Great decision, as previously said, this will make the whole contests scene much more dynamic.
    www.greenidentity.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is going on? Comments on some of the contests are still closed even though I reported a few.
    Last edited by MoniM; May 31, 2007 at 07:23.
    Moni

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about waking up an old thread, but I just found out this forum thread and since I have one experience with this type of contest holder, I would love to see what SP can take as an action for this contest: http://www.sitepoint.com/marketplace/contest/1063

regards,
    Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Bleys View Post
    Contest owners who don't declare a winner are automatically barred by the system from starting new contests.

If a contest holder refuses to pay after declaring a winner, etc... we must take steps to verify that before taking any action.
    MagpiesZone.com Newcastle United FC Supporter blog
    Shearyadi.com Shearyadi's Inspirational Blog
    MoviePremier.net All about great Movies and wallpapers
    TitikBalik.net View My Portfolio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another issue, that seems to surface more and more lately in many of the running contests, is the feedback the CH gives, selectively, that is. He just comments on 3 designs out of 100 and gets away with it.
    www.greenidentity.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another one with no possibility to comment it:

http://www.sitepoint.com/marketplace/contest/1706?

Besides that this CH was, in my opinion, quite rude to some contestants...
    Moni

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by helix7 View Post
    Out of 33 users who have abandoned contests, exactly ZERO are listed as "Non-Members". Worse yet, 10 of them have been active on SP in the last 7 days. Some were active as I looked at their profiles, continuing to use SP as if nothing happened.

One person on my list has even abandoned 2 contests, yet they are still active on SP (although not in the last 7 days).
    How is this possible?
    Bringing this to the fore after a while, but I believe we should all be privvy to these peoples' ids, particularly for people who are new to the contest area and at the moment have no way of tracking the 'deadbeats' !

I would actually welcome the very first post in a contest to be a 'don't enter this because this CH has a reputation for abandoning contests".

I also noted someone else mentioned the 'talking behind the scenes' via PM. I wholeheartedly agree. There is blatant promoting in the contests themselves about people adding extras to their entry (coding, or whatever) when it's not been asked for in the brief.

If that happens quite openly, I'm loathe to think what happens 'behind the scenes'. A CH in a contest I was in just recently , mentioned something about the prize being the $ amount he specified in his brief - there would be no changes........... that leads me to believe that some contestants may even be offering to accept cheaper prize money if they were to win......

I don't believe there should be any PM'ing between CH and participants during the time of the contest. Makes it fair for everyone. How this can be implemented I have no idea.

I have also made a couple of other suggestions in another post (support forum - forgot about this thread) about taking a deposit up front - and should the CH abandon the contest, their forfeit this deposit. This should sort out the serious CH from the ones just looking for a design to 'borrow'.

Also, as Helix mentioned, it would be a good idea to have a 'Yes I have been paid' and "Yes, I have received the files' button at the end of the contest ... this way we all know that the contest has been fully completed and paid for.

Another gripe, is that it should be a requirement that a CH should declare a winner with X number of days. It's ridiculous having to wait sometimes over a week before a winner is either declared or you get the feeling that a contest has been abandoned....

Just some thoughts since I've been over at the contest area for the last couple of weeks :-)

Hopefully some of the promised changes will be implemented soon - it's getting quite ridiculous over there - and I can certainly feel the frustration that regular contest participants (esp. those that have been doing this for a few years), go through.

Nadia

SitePoint Enthusiast imagineinternet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia P View Post
    Bringing this to the fore after a while, but I believe we should all be privvy to these peoples' ids, particularly for people who are new to the contest area and at the moment have no way of tracking the 'deadbeats' !
    Heck yeah - from a contest holder's viewpoint this would make things much easier. Just a note to SP - the price to hold a contest has gone up considerably, but the cool new changes still are not here. This is one of those changes - profiles of designers and contest holders.

I also noted someone else mentioned the 'talking behind the scenes' via PM. I wholeheartedly agree. There is blatant promoting in the contests themselves about people adding extras to their entry (coding, or whatever) when it's not been asked for in the brief.
    This happens all the time. I get PM's for everything from offers to do a design for less to people that feel the need to PM me every time they upload a revision. I find it incredibly annoying to have to deal with a bunch of PM's on top of dozens of feedback, and it's certainly in poor taste to make offers outside the contest. We have gone as far as asking people not to in our briefs.

Another gripe, is that it should be a requirement that a CH should declare a winner with X number of days. It's ridiculous having to wait sometimes over a week before a winner is either declared or you get the feeling that a contest has been abandoned....
    As a frequent contest holder, I can tell you the other side to this is our client. You are a designer and you know what I mean - clients that take forever to make a decision. On one hand it's a HUGE benefit to give a client a dozen or more great design choices. On the other hand, it's sometimes hard to get them to make a decision. We try to limit their choices to the best layouts, but sometimes they need more time, no matter how much you explain to them how this works or plan ahead. I have had some that have gone a week and a half. I just try to communicate in the comments, and have gone so far as to have an admin post one time after the comments were closed by the system.

Overall, your concerns are valid. SP, please please please finish the new system! I have seen a LOT of great designers move on in the last year because they haven't gotten paid.
    Uptime + Quality + Keyword + Popularity Monitoring
    EZ Website Monitoring

Go Web Solutions - LOVE your website!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new look is nice but it seems buggy at the moment, and i cannot see my posts. My posts are .png and they are not showing up, and posts seem out of order.

Regards.
    Copyright 2007 by P1Guy. All Rights Reserved
    p1guy@cogeco.ca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is great that you are now displaying our wins,,,however mine are missing a few.... if this is going to be a new thing can we add the missing ones.
    Drop in and check out my Art click below

www.senjula.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    s it just me or do the lsitings no longer stay in any chronological order? They do for one page, but then if you go to the next page it all changes. I like to be able to see the contests ending first so I can keep my eye on contest I'm in easily, but this doesn't work in this new system

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also some won contests are still listed as open. It's really hard to sift through all the listings. Is there a glitch?

Web Designer/Developer DarkSuiyoken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do we add what we won in our public profile? I won quite a few, even back when the new contests system kicked in and we have to attach entries in our replies..
    QwertyDesign.net
    Have a look at my portfolio site.
    My Blog
    Here's my personal blog. Features Actionscript tutorials.