• Yahadi Web Browser

2 0.26%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    EDIT: Read more of your post. Apparently you are another one of those people who load up with a gig of ram and then complain when an app uses it. What's wrong with using available memory because it is available? Isn't that what it's for?
    WOW, not only is it a /FAIL/ hard for that wonderful 'one of those people' generalization - but that has NOTHING to do with my post.

That's on a 1 gig machine sure - but notice the memory firefox is reporting in the screencap... it's not even up to 200 megs yet... and the real killer? The only window/tab open at that point is google.

The app ISN'T using the available memory, that machine had another 540-600 megs of memory (after windows and crapplet overhead) reporting 'available' when it was doing that.

I WISH it would use all the memory - it doesn't.

Sorry Charlie - try again.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... That's about it, I think. The rest are geeky mouse gestures and other crap that just confuse your poor joe and jane. Out of the box, both browsers have more than enough for your average user. No home user needs a FF extension to browse websites.
    The ability to type g "Search String" into the address bar and get search results. And the ability to customize that easily. The ability to customize the UI completely. The ability to resize text and images of websites (not just text (I think FF2 fixed that, but I am not entire sure :S)). Having a real download manager, that makes things easier. Having options like Open in background tabs/back ground window. Having fast forward and fast backwards. Having an easy Ad blocker built in. Able to enable images/cache images/no images with a click of a button (useul, especially if you are in regional Australia and they charge you a bomb for every bit of bandwidth you use). Ability to start from where you left off. Ability to save sessions (I think FF fixed this too, I am not 100% sure again :S) etc etc. The list is pretty long IMO.

I think you start to sound like an Opera fanatic, mate. People who prefer FF here all seem to like Opera as well (me included - btw I'm typing this msg in Opera). There's no need to aggressively promote your favourite browser by putting down other people's choices.
    Maybe I did go overboard a little, and I do apologize for that (sometimes you just get carried away ). And yea, for the record, I think FF is a great browser too. Better than IE, but I don't think it is better than Opera.

Peace

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow
    The app ISN'T using the available memory, that machine had another 540-600 megs of memory (after windows and crapplet overhead) reporting 'available' when it was doing that.

I WISH it would use all the memory - it doesn't.

Sorry Charlie - try again.
    I didn't say use ALL available memory. Why should it do that? After a few hours of surfing and three tabs open, I show 85Mb in use. So my question is, what's wrong with your setup? I have 10 computers I maintain and NONE of them show usage like you show. The one in the room next to mine shows 56Mb usage.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite
    Holy cow, who has time to play with all those browsers?!!

<snip>

Extensions and tabbed browsing are my favorite features, and I believe the folks at Firefox pioneered both. (Or was Opera the first to offer tabbed browsing?)

<snip>

Opera has no major fan club. That's a situation that should be rectified.
    First things first geosite, I do, of course

I have Internet Explorer 3, IE 4, IE 5.01, IE 5.5, IE 6 and IE 7; K-Meleon 1.0, Mozilla FireFox 1.0.3, Netscape Navigator 4.7, Netscape 6.2, Netscape 7, Netscape 8, and Opera 9 on my PC.

Second, yes, Opera was the first browser to introduce tabbed browsing. I think it was with version 5, but it might have been 6. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was version 5.

As for the Opera fan club, yeah, I know. We should do something about it... starting with replacing the person on Opera's home page. The last I checked, the "grunge" thing went out about seven years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freak
    The ability to type g "Search String" into the address bar and get search results. And the ability to customize that easily. The ability to customize the UI completely. The ability to resize text and images of websites (not just text (I think FF2 fixed that, but I am not entire sure :S)). Having a real download manager, that makes things easier. Having options like Open in background tabs/back ground window. Having fast forward and fast backwards. Having an easy Ad blocker built in. Able to enable images/cache images/no images with a click of a button (useul, especially if you are in regional Australia and they charge you a bomb for every bit of bandwidth you use). Ability to start from where you left off. Ability to save sessions (I think FF fixed this too, I am not 100% sure again :S) etc etc. The list is pretty long IMO.
    Do you think those are relevant to the average users? I think you're thinking too much as an advanced user. Hey I'm an advanced user myself and I couldn't care less about most of these things, bar the page zoom one. As for a real download manager, I use wget most of the time.

As for customisations, Opera, no matter how customisable it is, is still a closed source product. You can't beat an open source software when it comes to customisations.
    "I disapprove of what I say,
    but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First things first geosite, I do, of course

I have Internet Explorer 3, IE 4, IE 5.01, IE 5.5, IE 6 and IE 7; K-Meleon 1.0, Mozilla FireFox 1.0.3, Netscape Navigator 4.7, Netscape 6.2, Netscape 7, Netscape 8, and Opera 9 on my PC.

Second, yes, Opera was the first browser to introduce tabbed browsing. I think it was with version 5, but it might have been 6. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was version 5.

As for the Opera fan club, yeah, I know. We should do something about it... starting with replacing the person on Opera's home page. The last I checked, the "grunge" thing went out about seven years ago.
    So which is you favourite browser then? Will be interesting, since you tried quite a bit of the pool of browsers out there

Do you think those are relevant to the average users? I think you're thinking too much as an advanced user. Hey I'm an advanced user myself and I couldn't care less about most of these things, bar the page zoom one. As for a real download manager, I use wget most of the time.
    Yes actually. The download manager in Opera is alot more intuitive, and understandable by a regular user. I care about the zoom thing because I am myopic an my eyes hurt easily, thus I often have to zoom. And I am pretty sure old folks will agree with me. I think the image thingy is really helpful (one of the main reasons I switched over to Opera, cause I can't find an as good image preference option extention in FF and seeing that you are from Australia as well, I am sure you know the rip off prices you guys have down there ) And yea, a normal user will benefit from a built in BT client as well

As for customisations, Opera, no matter how customisable it is, is still a closed source product. You can't beat an open source software when it comes to customisations.
    Let's put it this way: Opera isn't as customizable as FF, but FF isn't as easy to customize as Opera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opera of course.

I used to use FireFox, but now it's just a "testing" browser for me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good point vgarcia. What's a half-second (using Firefox) when Firefox is better in just about everything else (compared to IE6 that is). Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the reason is because IE is partially loaded into Windows so it's already got a head start.

Please, IE6 is like 5 years old and it shows.

r937, you really believe that IE6 is the best browser out there "because it's the one that i use". Lol... ok... that's a logical reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    r937 was merely being sarcastic, I think.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh... humm... I wasn't sure too but it wasn't really that funny (not to me anyway). Oh well.

Is it me or does it SEEM, like web programmers use IE a lot and web designers use Gecko browsers? I gotta tell you...the web programmers I speak with are clueless. They think that IE is like god or something and when I start talking about how web-standard friendly other browsers are, I get this look on their face like, "umm... what's this web-standards thing he's talkin about".

And relax; those of you who are web programmers using browsers other than IE. I'm just talking about my own experience and was wondering if it's what you guys see out there too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only true blue (in the face) Web programmer I know (deathshadow) uses Opera.

I have noticed that a lot of designers use FireFox though - mainly for the extensions.

A lot of the things that they need extensions for in FireFox I can do natively in Opera. And if I do need an extension for Opera, I can go to http://operawiki.info/Opera and just get one

Like this one:
    http://operawiki.info/WebDevToolbar

Or this one:
    http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons/

And if I really want to be mean, I'll just block all the advertisements with a user stylesheet:
    http://operawiki.info/UserStyleSheet (it's the AdBlocker CSS file)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use a mix of Firefox, Opera, IE and Flock. Prefer Opera for the speed at which it delivers pages, the features built into the browser and the quick remember function of whatever tabs I had open last time if I didn't kill them.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long Live FF!

Nothing it can't do, I love the built in Spellchecker and RSS Feed reader.

-
    ChrisGilmore
    ChrisGilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGilmore
    Long Live FF!

Nothing it can't do

Well, for one it doesn't pass the Acid2 Test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer Opera but Firefox 2 is quite good, methinks. Way better than 1.5!
    David Shamloo-Ekblad

Go Habs! | For music addicts: Last.fm, SongMeanings

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz
    r937 was merely being sarcastic, I think.
    not really

i've tried firefox, i've tried opera, didn't like either of them

i ~really~ like internet explorer

so that's the one i use

so therefore it's the best browser

QED

isn't that what this poll was asking?

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfraser
    As a web application programmer, the browser that I prefer is....

Internet Explorer

Whenever I get a request for a component that looks/behaves a little bit differently, it's always possible in IE. The "other" browser makes my life miserable.

I am sorry to say that, in my case, it is normally the other way around

Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conradical
    I'd say that's a b(c)old way to spread the word.
    Thank you, Conradical... but the truth is that I never heard of this until you kindly showed it to me which brings my point. I do see FF ads everywhere even if I am using other browsers (which I do use) so obviously Opera is not doing as much as they could? It is obvious that Google does help promoting FF and that's a lot of help

Anyway, I don't live in US, so that may be why I didn't know about this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted Firefox, for the following reasons:
    - speed,
    - plugins, (especially the web development stuff)
    - spell check,
    - tabs,
    - search field keywords,
    - modern CSS support!

Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Molona:
    You do realize that you are coming from a web developer's prespective and that you have very very specifics requirements don't you? For the average home user out there, their best bet is probably Opera and not FF (considering we are talking about only IE, Opera and FF here). Tech people who go out to tell the ordinary folks to use FF definitely isn't giving the best advice.
    I know, but then, you ask technical people, and if we are honest the average joe will use IE most of the time, and some of them FF, and maybe, surprisingly, some will use Opera (probably because computer enthusiast that likes Opera installed it in their computer and then started to use it)
    As for promotion, kind to list how FF has actively promoted themselves? From what I know, FF is open source and doesn't exactly have the funding to advertise a great deal.
    But they have the most wonderful and fantastic support from... *plays music for effect* ... GOOGLE.
    Did you know that, if you have an Adsense account you could earn cash by promoting FF? Why do you think that when you browse you see so many links saying "download FF"

And this is the reason why FF, and not Opera, is the only real chance against IE. Everywhere the average joe goes, he finds this little button saying "download FF" which, at the end, he may do. I don't see any Opera buttons, but then, does Opera give cash for promoting it?
    Most of their promotion comes from the media. When people write news articles, they very conveniently ignore Opera (for a reason which I cannot understand). Check out the reviews for FF2 vs IE7. Why isn't Opera in there? The average consumer will obviously only ever download the both of them to try it out.
    I don't know if they conveniently ignore Opera or they simply think that their market share is not high enough to take it into consideration as it is small, and remains about the same.

But it isn't true that FF gets all its promotion through media. They do actively promote themselves using methods as Adsense, like I mentioned above. Probably the biggest boost you can have.

As for the compatibility thing, to be honest, I would consider a big problem to find compatibility issues in a closed product, for the very reason that it is closed, and not open to thousands of programmers that may want to play with it. Hence testing should be a lot tighter and controlled.

It does have the disadvantage that you don't have thousands of programmers to do the testing for you, of course

Freak, I am not saying that FF is better than Opera or the other way around. To be honest, I find both (dowloading manager included) very intuitive and easy to use. Both support XML natively (including SVG, which is a big plus for me), both support CSS3 (while IE still has problems with CSS 2.1 ), both are great browsers.

Granted, Opera has better support for CSS and is faster. But speed depends on many things, and not only the browser you choose, so while it is a great thing, I consider that CSS support is more important... and even then, thanks to IE we cannot move on to CSS3 and, anyway, FF's CSS support is far from being bad

But all this, for the average joe, is not important. He will never be able to say what is CSS, most of the time they just heard the word HTML once in their lives so...

What I am saying is that FF gets more support because it does help the web community or, should I say it this way, being open source, the web community can help themselves. Hence, the community also helps FF and promote it (furthermore if they can earn some cash too )

And don't tell me that Opera is more customisable than FF (it isn't, if only because more people developes cool stuff for FF than for Opera) or that it is easier to customise Opera than FF (FF is really easy to customise, just go to tools>themes and choose, that's it, and the extensions is just install/uninstall)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, but then, you ask technical people, and if we are honest the average joe will use IE most of the time, and some of them FF, and maybe, surprisingly, some will use Opera (probably because computer enthusiast that likes Opera installed it in their computer and then started to use it)
    I am talking about tech people advising the average Joe to use FF, and I believe Opera is a better option, out of the box.

But they have the most wonderful and fantastic support from... *plays music for effect* ... GOOGLE.
    Did you know that, if you have an Adsense account you could earn cash by promoting FF? Why do you think that when you browse you see so many links saying "download FF"

And this is the reason why FF, and not Opera, is the only real chance against IE. Everywhere the average joe goes, he finds this little button saying "download FF" which, at the end, he may do. I don't see any Opera buttons, but then, does Opera give cash for promoting it?
    Well, it isn't really fair competition then is it? Opera is after all a puny company compared to Google and will never match it in marketing their products :S

And yea, besides that, for the rest of the post, I stopped the argument a few posts back, seeing that I got abit too carried away at the start

Let's just put it as this: Everybody has their own favourite browser, and so long as people all be rational, objective and not too passionate about it, we'll all be happy

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I chose FF... well, I like it better than all the browsers... not that I've tried everything already it's just that it suits my needs

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox.

Speed (rendering), standards compliance, built in ease of tweakability. And of course extensions (inparticular Web Dev toolbar, Flash Block and IE Tab).
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it me or does it SEEM, like web programmers use IE a lot and web designers use Gecko browsers?
    Possibly because the programmers on forums use Windows software/languages while most *nix programmers don't visit forums like this, I notice. When I have *nix questions, I don't ask them here.

isn't that what this poll was asking?
    The question is flawed because it doesn't say in what way. As I stated earlier, does it mean by usage or technically? Technically, IE is the worst browser on the planet. Usage-wise it can rate better just by personal preferences. I notice a lot of people like it just for the interface. That's the only reason I don't use Opera but I would rate Opera higher than all other browsers technically.

You can't beat an open source software when it comes to customisations.
    It doesn't matter whether a product is open source or not to accomplish this.

SitePoint Enthusiast abdussamad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FF or seamonkey. Seamonkey if you need stability. FF if you need a fast browser. I have both.