• Yahadi Web Browser

2 0.26%
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox anyday. The tabbing system is stupendous and the skins are also great. Explorer seems so antiquated in front of it. I love the fact that it gives so many options to chose from and so many ways of working with various sites at one time.
    But then apart from IE I have not tried any others.
    Milly
    Affiliate Programs at AffiliateBOT.com

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    you should have a look at IE7 Milly, you might be surprised
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vali
    In my opinion, the best browser is whatever is used by the majority of my clients, and that's IE6 for now, and IE7 soon.
    I wouldn't call that best - but then, as Penn and Teller proved, the best... is ********.

One thing discussions of 'the best' often miss is that the majority of people don't 'need' the best, or can't be bothered to get 'the best' - and settle for 'good enough'

... and for the majority of internet users, that's EXACTLY what IE is - it's not great, but it's good enough they can't be bothered to change.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im still with the choice of Opera, it has been tested the one of the fastest (if not the fastest) and it has all the things i need. (mail, browsing, irc)

I downloaded IE7, and im not so hateful of IE anymore, i will casually from time to time use IE7, since it is better than the older versions.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) IE7 (vast improvement from IE6)
    2) FF
    3) Opera

I would use firefox more often if it wasn't slower than IE. Firefox 2 seems to be much faster than previous versions, but I'm not going to get my hopes up yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinvd
    I would choose Konqueror, but since it is not in the list i pick Firefox
    Agreed. I'm having difficulty understanding the selection criteria for that list, given that most of the browsers on there are either totally obscure or just a clone of something else. Konqueror is a major player, not just because it is the default browser/file manager/ftp client in KDE, but also because of its unique rendering engine. Even if you don't like it, you should be testing in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow
    It's DEFINATELY no misnomer - and it's certainly got NOTHING to do with windows as my own browsing habits is able to make ANY gecko based browser completely sieze up in Linux and OSX too...
    I've noticed Firefox freezing up too - but only in OSX. Probably because I leave it open for weeks on end without rebooting the computer. Can't ever see that happening on a Windows machine. ("Warning: Your clock has switched from 11:43 to 11:44. You must restart your computer for the changes to take effect." Boy, do I not miss that.)

By the way, people, 'extensions' is spelt 'extenSions', not 'extenTions'!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Linux so IE is out (although I do test sites in IE in a virtualised env). I always have FF on one screen and Opera on another. FF is like my dev/work browser and Opera is for the rest.

Memory usage: they are about the same.

Stability: usually the same but since v9, Opera has been crashing a lot.

Konqueror is a nice browser and I use it occasionally but I prefer it for file management instead of web browsing.
    "I disapprove of what I say,
    but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Molona:
    You do realize that you are coming from a web developer's prespective and that you have very very specifics requirements don't you? For the average home user out there, their best bet is probably Opera and not FF (considering we are talking about only IE, Opera and FF here). Tech people who go out to tell the ordinary folks to use FF definitely isn't giving the best advice.

As for promotion, kind to list how FF has actively promoted themselves? From what I know, FF is open source and doesn't exactly have the funding to advertise a great deal. Most of their promotion comes from the media. When people write news articles, they very conveniently ignore Opera (for a reason which I cannot understand). Check out the reviews for FF2 vs IE7. Why isn't Opera in there? The average consumer will obviously only ever download the both of them to try it out.

[quote ="Commander7"]My vote goes to Firefox (1.5..., because I worry about compatibility of some extensions I use and love)[/quote]
    My point...

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, deathshadow, Mozilla is telling you it's not a problem but you are right so I guess that's that. You have Linux and osx problems, too, huh? Hm. I don't so what does that mean? Hm.

EDIT: Read more of your post. Apparently you are another one of those people who load up with a gig of ram and then complain when an app uses it. What's wrong with using available memory because it is available? Isn't that what it's for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    EDIT: Read more of your post. Apparently you are another one of those people who load up with a gig of ram and then complain when an app uses it. What's wrong with using available memory because it is available? Isn't that what it's for?
    It's the typical Windoze user mentality, as Windows make poor use of available memory, unlike *nix OSes. He'd have a heart attack using a *nix one when most of the time, free memory is only a few MBs.

Quote Originally Posted by freak
    You do realize that you are coming from a web developer's prespective and that you have very very specifics requirements don't you? For the average home user out there, their best bet is probably Opera and not FF (considering we are talking about only IE, Opera and FF here). Tech people who go out to tell the ordinary folks to use FF definitely isn't giving the best advice.
    You do realise that this is a forum for web experts and the poll is asking *us*, not your average joe, what's the best web browser? Besides, the so-called best advice is only your opinion. What can Opera bring to a home user that Firefox cannot? For the record, I setup both for my parents (two Linux PCs, two novices) and told them to use Opera initially. Dad eventually switched to Firefox (because some of the sites he went to didn't quite work in Opera) but mum stayed with Opera.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox for me. I just has the most intuitive interface, all the plugins / addons you could want, totally customisable, and the web devloper toolbar - possibly the most useful plugin in existance!

I have tried Opera, but I just don't get on with the interface in it. As for IE... After a clean install of windows + SP2, I managed to get infected with spyware within about 2 minutes using IE. I have never touched it again, other than to test sites in - also out of principle - why should I as a web developer support a browser that makes no effort to follow the latest web standards, often on purpose? I long to see the day when the whole internet is based on web standards & browsers follow it (it might happen... by 2100 or something...), and I refuse to support a browser that is holding this ideal back.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox has become worse and worse for me personally. If it weren't for the webdeveloper extension, I'd completely have switched to Safari. With that said, my favourite browser is Safari followed by Opera.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox all the way for me. Since 2.0 I haven't suffered any memory leaks or any problems at all, and it's renewed my faith in the browser. The memory leaks I suffered during 1.5 almost drove me to using Opera, but thankfully they were fixed (at least they were for me).

Something I've always wondered. Why hasn't a Firefox file manager extension been developed yet?! If it were possible to hack Windows enough to have Firefox deal with showing file management instead of Explorer I think I would be in heaven. Tabbed file browsing on my computer would be heavenly.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy cow, who has time to play with all those browsers?!! i've only used Firefox, Opera, Safari and Internet Explorer, and the most definitive statement I can make is that IE ranks dead last.

I ranked my favorites as follows:

1. Firefox
    2. Opera
    3. Safari

However, I honestly haven't had enough experience with Opera and Safari to make a valid comparison. My perception is that all three are technically sound, but Firefox scores brownie points for its promotional efforts, which have become more in-your-face and politicized. Also, we can be reasonably certain that all three of these browsers will be maintained and upgraded and won't be burdened with security holes, spyware, etc.

Extensions and tabbed browsing are my favorite features, and I believe the folks at Firefox pioneered both. (Or was Opera the first to offer tabbed browsing?)

Quote Originally Posted by iTechno
    Firefox is my favorite, it's look, it's speed, it's addons are just awesome in my opinion and it will forever stay my number 1 unless I get a Mac .
    I purchased a MacBook Pro laptop a few months ago and use Firefox on it. I have had problems with Firefox freezing up on my PC, but it works fine on my Mac, which has much more memory.

However, I plan on installing Opera on my Mac as well, and I'd like to do more to promote it. Firefox is backed by the open source community, Safari by Apple, but poor Opera has no major fan club. That's a situation that should be rectified.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safari for me, the who interface is much snappier than the other Mac options. Not load times (but those are good too) but start up times, Javascript/AJAX, download things, all seem much smoother in Safari than Firefox and Opera.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What can Opera bring to a home user that Firefox cannot?
    Lots of stuff! Go through the feature list of Opera and the feature list of FF. Without extentions, FF is a pretty mediocre product.

For the record, I setup both for my parents (two Linux PCs, two novices) and told them to use Opera initially. Dad eventually switched to Firefox (because some of the sites he went to didn't quite work in Opera) but mum stayed with Opera.
    Mate, I thought we have been discussin all this while with an understanding that the browser is not to blame for how it renders a site. Especially since quite a few tests points to the fact that Opera is the more standards compliant browser.

SitePoint Enthusiast Net-Margin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Opera 9.02 although I also like the look and feel of Internet Explorer 7.0. I use Opera because it has a nice UI and a brilliant engine. I have never had any difficulties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FF2 blows IE 7 out of the water.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clenard
    FF2 blows IE 7 out of the water.
    Please edit your post. I clearly stated not to make replies like that in the thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mostly use Safari and Firefox. I voted for Safari.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Voted 4 Opera using FF2

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without extentions, FF is a pretty mediocre product.
    And without the internet, Opera is useless. Extensions are the feature and with extensions FF can do as much and more than Opera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of stuff! Go through the feature list of Opera and the feature list of FF. Without extentions, FF is a pretty mediocre product.
    Like what?

Mail? Home users often have their own email clients or use web mail.

... That's about it, I think. The rest are geeky mouse gestures and other crap that just confuse your poor joe and jane. Out of the box, both browsers have more than enough for your average user. No home user needs a FF extension to browse websites.

Mate, I thought we have been discussin all this while with an understanding that the browser is not to blame for how it renders a site. Especially since quite a few tests points to the fact that Opera is the more standards compliant browser.
    That's what we developers know. Do home users know that? Of course not. I thought you wanted to talk about home users. Oh btw the problem my dad had with Opera wasn't site rendering. It was because the way Opera handles popup blocking and utilises multimedia plugins (although it shares the same plugin libs with FF) that makes it unusable for some of his favourite sites.

I think you start to sound like an Opera fanatic, mate. People who prefer FF here all seem to like Opera as well (me included - btw I'm typing this msg in Opera). There's no need to aggressively promote your favourite browser by putting down other people's choices.

SitePoint Addict silentcollision's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox.

Without extensions, FF is a pretty mediocre product.
    Considered that they might have considered the community when developing it? My favourite thing about Firefox is the fact that by default, its very simple, and enables the user to customise it to their liking. Its not a set design that you are forced to stick to.