SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: The best web browser:

Voters
784. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mozilla Firefox

    570 72.70%
  • Mozilla SeaMonkey

    0 0%
  • Opera

    89 11.35%
  • Maxthon

    3 0.38%
  • Avant

    2 0.26%
  • Netscape

    1 0.13%
  • Internet Explorer

    82 10.46%
  • Flock

    2 0.26%
  • Netcaptor

    0 0%
  • Slim

    1 0.13%
  • K-Meleon

    0 0%
  • Camino (only for Mac)

    5 0.64%
  • Safari

    23 2.93%
  • AOL Explorer

    1 0.13%
  • Deepnet

    1 0.13%
  • Ace Explorer

    0 0%
  • UltraBrowser

    0 0%
  • 3B Browser

    0 0%
  • Ideal Browser

    0 0%
  • Kopassa

    0 0%
  • Enigma

    0 0%
  • Smart Bro

    1 0.13%
  • Lunascape

    1 0.13%
  • Aw2 Explorer

    0 0%
  • Yahadi Web Browser

    2 0.26%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 436
  1. #26
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    wwb_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    10,576
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Telnet. Because writing your own http headers is fun.

  2. #27
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  3. #28
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I admit that I haven't tried out most browsers, but I am really happy with Opera and definitely would recommend it.

    I'll never understand the plugins attitude. Why find a plugin to something when you can have it built in? With Opera, you get 100% customization of the UI, you get all sorts of options, you get a REAL download manager, you get advanced options like editing cookies and stuff like that, you get a ton of options without having to look to someone else and pray that some programmer has the same needs as you.

    And what if the programmer of the extention wasn't particularly skilled and introduce bugs? what if the extention clashes with another extention? What if the programmer decided not to support the extention any longer (he might have other commitments, or he doesn't need that extention anymore)? And the new upgrade comes and you can't upgrade because of the extentions? What if the next security upgrade screws up your extention? What if your extention screws up the security upgrade (eg. they fixed a hole in FF, you patched your browser, then you go download an extention that is outdated and it overwrites the patched hole) the list goes on forever.

    So much time is spent configuring the browser, it makes me wonder how FF is considered the more productive browser, specially since people are probably constantly thinking of how to make their browser better, how to boast about it, how to tell everyone that their browser sucks etc etc etc.

    I'll never understand this attitude. Does loading an extra half-second faster really make that much of a difference when you spend HOURS sitting in front of the browser?
    Obviously! Seeing that firefox has memory leak problems, and if you on it for too long it screws up, and that when I click on a Opera icon it starts up so much faster...

  4. #29
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey freak, it's called ego. Some people (unfortunately) have them. Most of us (thankfully) don't.

  5. #30
    SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,438
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll never understand the plugins attitude. Why find a plugin to something when you can have it built in?
    What Firefox is known for are called extensions not plugins. If it's built in, then you can't get rid of it. With extensions, you can install them or not.
    you get 100% customization of the UI
    As does Firefox.
    And what if the programmer of the extention wasn't particularly skilled and introduce bugs?
    You don't use it.
    For all your complaints about the extensions and flexibility of FF, you miss the point that it can be done, but you don't have to, and Opera can't! I'm not knocking Opera because it's a great browser but don't blame FF for being flexible and customizable.

    Seeing that firefox has memory leak problems, and if you on it for too long it screws up
    I thought that misnomer was squashed. It's a falsehood brought on by people who have no understanding of the inner workings. FF uses as much memory as it can to cache web pages. If other apps need the memory, it releases it to the OS which can take many minutes to recover it because the OS safeguards the possibility the memory will still be needed by that app. (I was told at times Windows can take hours). Some 3rd party extensions had memory leak problems which were fixed but that is not the fault of Firefox.

  6. #31
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't use it.
    For all your complaints about the extensions and flexibility of FF, you miss the point that it can be done, but you don't have to, and Opera can't! I'm not knocking Opera because it's a great browser but don't blame FF for being flexible and customizable.
    But what if you want that extention? What then? And how do you know if it is buggy or not until you actually installed it. And after you've installed and uninstalled quite a few, you don't actually have a clue why your FF is screwing up. You don't have to extend FF, but without extention, its functionality loses handsdown to Opera.

    [qutoe]As does Firefox.[/quote]
    Yea, but you have to scroll through tons of extentions, read each description, find out if they are exactly what you want, read other users comments to make sure that they don't screw up your browser, if it is outdated, you have to decide if it is worth the risk to download and install it and all those kind of stuff. If it is built in, you go to tools>appearance and tweak it however you like and be safe in the knowledge that you can always click Restore Defaults to get everything ok again

    I am not saying that FF is a bad browser. I just think it is getting more than its fair share of publicity. Almost every news site consider FF as the only alternative to IE and hardly any of them mentions Opera. And seeing that at the end of the day, Opera is at the very very least as good as FF and not better, that isn't fair.

    Also, many of the loyal FF fans go around yelling at people for using IE because IE sucks, FF has so much more features, blame the IE users for not willing to embrace new technology and new interface, and when asked about Opera, most of them either say: 1) Never tried it, I am more than happy with FF or 2) Tried it, it seems pretty cool, but FF does what I want in a browser and I am not changing. Which is exactly what the IE users says. Sense the hypocrisy?

    And what about non-technical people? Granted, people like you and me are happy to spend hours on end (actually, I am not, but some people are, as they say that improves "productivity") customizing our browsers and dealing with bugs, upgrade issues and stuff like that. But what about the average home users? The tech guys tell them to come to FF, they can just as easily screw up their browsers with bad extention, or they might not even know how to use them to begin with.

    In short, I think FF is a great alternative to IE, but it isn't as good as it is painted to be in the Media or by the FF fanatics. This is especially true since there is a certain amount of hypocrisy in the FF fanatics. And I think Opera should get more coverage

    Just me 2 cents and my rant

  7. #32
    Non-Member deathshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Posts
    901
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freak
    I'll never understand the plugins attitude. Why find a plugin to something when you can have it built in?
    ... and when that browser with all the stuff built in comes in a smaller download, unpacks to a THIRD the size, and comes with a built in E-Mail client that has more features than Thunderbird - which happens to be a bigger download than BOTH browsers combined... What's that say about it?

    FF 2.0 and Thunderbird 1.5 end up in excess of 70 megs after installation... Opera with it's BUILT IN M3 client is 25 megs give or take. (on windows)

    Bloat? That's one word for it.

    But then, Opera might just know a thing or two about making bloat-free browsers... you'd think they were making browsers for game consoles and cell phones or something.

  8. #33
    Non-Member deathshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Posts
    901
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    I thought that misnomer was squashed. It's a falsehood brought on by people who have no understanding of the inner workings. FF uses as much memory as it can to cache web pages. If other apps need the memory, it releases it to the OS which can take many minutes to recover it because the OS safeguards the possibility the memory will still be needed by that app. (I was told at times Windows can take hours). Some 3rd party extensions had memory leak problems which were fixed but that is not the fault of Firefox.
    It's DEFINATELY no misnomer - and it's certainly got NOTHING to do with windows as my own browsing habits is able to make ANY gecko based browser completely sieze up in Linux and OSX too - OS does NOT make a difference in this, as in less than fifteen minutes use I can usually replicate THIS:



    regardless of OS in the 1.x tree. FF 2.0 seems to have alleviated the problem right up until you start downloading files - at which point you are right back to the same issue. The download manager has always excasterbated the problem - which is annoying since even just saving images get routed to the download manager - more annoying that in a lot of cases it redownloads the image a second time, when it SHOULD be in the cache somewhere (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?)...

    Top that off with the ENTIRE browser hanging solid just waiting on file transfers to START, and it's an hardly encouraging indication of good memory/cpu management, much less threading...

    That the rat ******* **** at bugzilla (feel the love - trust me, the hate IS warranted) have ignored multiple bug reports and have actually been abusive to people reporting it - even going so far as to claim it was being made up - doesn't exactly endear mozilla products to me.

    THEN their claiming it's a feature, not a bug was the last straw (though at least they ACKNOWLEDGED the problem) - if it's such a great feature, why do all the other browsers LACK IT? It is the ONLY program that does this, plugins or no, so pointing the finger at windows is just more of the typical OSS fanboy anti-M$ manure.

    Nope... **** gecko and the open source it rode in on.

  9. #34
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's DEFINATELY no misnomer - and it's certainly got NOTHING to do with windows as my own browsing habits is able to make ANY gecko based browser completely sieze up in Linux and OSX too - OS does NOT make a difference in this, as in less than fifteen minutes use I can usually replicate THIS:
    I thought so too, but I didn't have proof to back up my beliefs :P My friend runs FF and from what I know FF gets unusable much faster than Opera and needs a restart much more often.

    just more of the typical OSS fanboy anti-M$ manure.
    That pisses me off no end as well! Some of MS's products are really really good (for eg. Office) and fact is that they are the market leaders for a reason. And if Apple monopolizes with DRM and stuff like that, it is only understandable, when MS do it, it is because the greedy Bill Gates want to dominate the world. When OS X screws up, it is only normal that programmers can't write perfect programs (from my experience, they screw up alot more often than Windows XP) and when Windows screws up, it is all MS's fault, and how crap they are etc etc. Dont' get me started on this though

  10. #35
    The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    KSA - UAE
    Posts
    9,458
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleys
    I prefer FireFox, personally.
    Same here I think that Lynx is missing in that list

  11. #36
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would choose Konqueror, but since it is not in the list i pick Firefox

  12. #37
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use firefox, I have never even heard of half of the browsers on the list...

  13. #38
    Almost retired tempera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox2win. Tabs, extensions, the attitude and whatnot.

  14. #39
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer Opera (surprise! lol) for these main reasons:

    - faster
    - more effective bookmark management
    - real tabbed browsing
    - shortcuts (keyboard and mouse)
    - less clunky feeling
    - author mode (for testing webpages)

    Last, I hate Firefox because it's slow, clunky feeling and looking, and has a mediocre set of features.

  15. #40
    ☆★☆★ silver trophy vgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    in transition
    Posts
    21,236
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freak
    That pisses me off no end as well! Some of MS's products are really really good (for eg. Office) and fact is that they are the market leaders for a reason. And if Apple monopolizes with DRM and stuff like that, it is only understandable, when MS do it, it is because the greedy Bill Gates want to dominate the world. When OS X screws up, it is only normal that programmers can't write perfect programs (from my experience, they screw up alot more often than Windows XP) and when Windows screws up, it is all MS's fault, and how crap they are etc etc. Dont' get me started on this though
    Strawman. What does apple's DRM or screwups have to do with open source?

    If you're going to attack, don't switch targets midstream

  16. #41
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    At My Desk!!
    Posts
    1,642
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well heres another one for Mozilla, as we all know IE is lacking in most things, I do however have to use as a designer because most "un-educated" people do aswell, but Firefox wins hands down with all the options can have added on
    "Am I the only one doing ASP.NET in Delphi(Pascal)?"

  17. #42
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    2,686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer Opera simply because I find it faster. I used FF before but found that going back and forward was extremly slow on some sites. With Opera it's a breeze.

  18. #43
    SitePoint Addict EJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Hills
    Posts
    237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mozilla FireFox I guess. Though the latest Opera is quite nice..
    “There's a way to do it better - find it.”
    — Thomas Edison

  19. #44
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE7 on Windows Vista, have never had a better experience with anything else.

    I may sound lame while saying this.....but the sites SOMEHOW looks better!!! :O

  20. #45
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,024
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=freak]You don't have to extend FF, but without extention, its functionality loses handsdown to Opera. [/ot]Sorry, I can't agree with you. Opera is a great browser and, in my experience, is faster than FF. But with none of the extensions installed, FF can still compete with Opera. Functionality is about the same.

    [quote=freak]Yea, but you have to scroll through tons of extentions, [/ot]No, if you know what you want. It has a very nice search tool
    Quote Originally Posted by freak
    read each description, find out if they are exactly what you want, read other users comments to make sure that they don't screw up your browser, if it is outdated, you have to decide if it is worth the risk to download and install it and all those kind of stuff. If it is built in, you go to tools>appearance and tweak it however you like and be safe in the knowledge that you can always click Restore Defaults to get everything ok again
    Again, that's not true. I rarely read the comments at all. To go to defaults, you simply need to uninstall the extension. Same if it goes wrong. If the problem is big, you start FF in safe mode and uninstall the extension. And normally, you know which extension is at fault, because most of the people don't go installing 20-25 extensions at one time, but maybe 3-4 maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by freak
    I am not saying that FF is a bad browser. I just think it is getting more than its fair share of publicity. Almost every news site consider FF as the only alternative to IE and hardly any of them mentions Opera. And seeing that at the end of the day, Opera is at the very very least as good as FF and not better, that isn't fair.
    I agree with you that Opera is as good, and sometimes even better, than FF. But I can't agree with you that FF has more than its share of publicity. FF success is based in:

    1) it is a great browser
    2) Promotes itself actively (unlike Opera)
    3) it is, by far, fully customizable and so much flexible
    4) it makes a webmaster life so much easier (unlike Opera)

    So much customizable and flexible, because by going to configuration, (the famous about:config) I can make it run faster, I can build my skins (furthermore, FF in their web page give you the instructions how to do it) and for that same reason, there are thousands of skins already available to download (I don't to start thinking about colors or twiking the appearance), because I can download hundred of extensions... just for fun or, as it is my case, to help me in my web developement, so I can even use FF as I would use Dreamweaver (with a real browser engine, and not an a approximation as DW does), I can use promotion tools inside FF (send it to directories, keyword analisys, site analisys, etc.), I can use different browser engines to see how my page would look in IE, Opera, or Lynx, I can see the HTTP headers, I can have my own FTP inside FF, I have a great debugging console for JavaScript, Java, XML, etc... and such a long list that makes my life easier as a designer and developer, that I would need various pages to list.

    THAT's the real difference between FF and Opera. FF needs lots of improvement, memory handling may not be the best (you can improve some points by changing the configuration, though) but, overall, thinks about the web community much more than any other. And it is still a great browser and standards compliant.

    Quote Originally Posted by freak
    Also, many of the loyal FF fans go around yelling at people for using IE because IE sucks, FF has so much more features, blame the IE users for not willing to embrace new technology and new interface, and when asked about Opera, most of them either say: 1) Never tried it, I am more than happy with FF or 2) Tried it, it seems pretty cool, but FF does what I want in a browser and I am not changing. Which is exactly what the IE users says. Sense the hypocrisy?
    IE sucks. But the real problem is not that IE sucks. The real problem is that MS does nothing about it... but, hey, read the W3C recommendation... people from MS participate on those... and, even making the rules (with other companies and participants, of course), IE sucks.

    As I said before, if Opera would make my life as easy as FF, I would have a huge trouble choosing my favourite browser. As it is... I don't. FF improves my productivity = I stick to FF.

    Quote Originally Posted by freak
    And what about non-technical people? Granted, people like you and me are happy to spend hours on end (actually, I am not, but some people are, as they say that improves "productivity") customizing our browsers and dealing with bugs, upgrade issues and stuff like that. But what about the average home users? The tech guys tell them to come to FF, they can just as easily screw up their browsers with bad extention, or they might not even know how to use them to begin with.
    After 2 and a half years using FF, and about 70 extensions installed (including Xpath, colorZilla, DOMInspector, RSS validators... and all kind of stuff that could give problems)... do you know how many buggy extensions I found? 1


    Quote Originally Posted by freak
    In short, I think FF is a great alternative to IE, but it isn't as good as it is painted to be in the Media or by the FF fanatics. This is especially true since there is a certain amount of hypocrisy in the FF fanatics. And I think Opera should get more coverage

    Just me 2 cents and my rant
    Opera is a great browser. Should it get more coverage? OK. I wonder what they do about it. FF does something to promote themselves... I never heard of Opera trying to spread the word!

    Furthermore, Opera started to lose users in favor of FF because before version 8 you had to buy it if you wanted to get rid of the ads. It was a good idea to try to earn some cash with ads (the same way we do with adsense), but they had to realize that people did not expect to have the ads included in their browser, they had more than enough in the websites. When they wanted to recover from their error, FF was already taking the lead and improving vastly.

    Conclusion: I understand your point, but FF is not famous only because it is a great browser, but because took the chance at the right moment and offers more than any other while still being a great browser

    @Dan: May modern verions of Opera still show as IE? I know they used to do it in their early days, but I thought they gave it up and finally decided that they would show in the stats as Opera.

  21. #46
    SitePoint Enthusiast EddM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always been a Firefox user, but I'll surely be checking out this Flock browser you speak of.
    Edd Morgan
    Cake Media Studios, Wokingham UK

    Ashes to ashes, zeros and ones.

  22. #47
    perfect = good enough peach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    -Netherlands-
    Posts
    1,384
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz
    Keep in mind that Avant, Deepnet Explorer, Maxthon and other so called "browsers" are not really browsers, but programs that sit on top of Internet Explorer's Trident rendering engine instead. While they do add features that IE (is/was, take your pick) lacking, they are still using the engine which is tied into the operating system, so you might as well use IE if you really want the additional features (I recommend IE 7 in this case).

    Or, better yet, get a real browser.
    The fact the avant uses an ie rendering engine doesn't mean it's not a browser, that's a ridiculous statement.
    Avant browser has 10 times more functionality then ie7 or firefox, and the owner could just as easily have used the firefox rendering engine but for obvious reasons he chose ie. (because firefox wasn't supported by many intranet sites and login systems when Avant browser was born)
    Avant is also much faster then ie6 since the speed updates in avant 10.

    The only thing I dislike in Avant is that they messed up the layout in version 11. I finally felt like I knew all of the buttons after getting used to the old layout for many years.

    I use firefox+webdev toolbar for development, but I think it's horrible for browsing because of the clumzy tab management and the rendering engine is _really_ slow.

  23. #48
    Guru Meditation Error gnarly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cheltenham, United Kingdom
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Firefox at work - as a web developer the multitude of extensions make it invaluable. For my home use though, the latest nighlies of Camino are lovely (that's what I voted for).

    I always liked the interface of iBrowse on AmigaOS, but unfortunately the rendering engine didn't keep up with the rest of the world.
    Olly Hodgson
    thinkdrastic.net

  24. #49
    Guru Meditation Error gnarly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cheltenham, United Kingdom
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhavalshreyas
    I may sound lame while saying this.....but the sites SOMEHOW looks better!!! :O
    That'll be because IE7 turns on ClearType font rendering by default (YAY!!!).
    Olly Hodgson
    thinkdrastic.net

  25. #50
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Nelson BC
    Posts
    2,310
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a web application programmer, the browser that I prefer is....

    Internet Explorer

    Whenever I get a request for a component that looks/behaves a little bit differently, it's always possible in IE. The "other" browser makes my life miserable.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •