SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody knows how do you make it such that when a user clicks on a link, it opens in a new browser window, but not in the curretn one. Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iron,

If you know HTML you can simply add a new little bit of code in the A HREF tag, like in this example

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code/font><HR><pre>
    &lt;a href="http://www.yahoo.com" target="top"&gt;Yahoo!&lt;/a&gt;
    [/code]

However, if you're looking for a nice easy way to do this in FP 2000, simply highlight the link as normally would, bring up the link creation box (where you'd normally type the URL), and click the little button with the pencil on it near the bottom right hand corner, near the text in the grey box that says "Page Default."

Clicking this will bring up a new window, from there you can choose to have the link open in a new window, in a new frame, or other things like that.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Under Construction!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just do this: after you click on the Hyperlink button, click on Target frame and choose New Window from the Common targets.

------------------
    Ali Mousavi
    CarAudioClub.com

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Ironx87:
    Does anybody knows how do you make it such that when a user clicks on a link, it opens in a new browser window, but not in the curretn one. Thanks in advance<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A bit of warning though:

You should really consider whether to open links in a new browser window or not as for example I find it very annoying.

Generally speaking, I wonder if there is anyone who likes links to be opened in a new window - as if he really wants to see page opened to a new window he will do that himself.

Just a though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally open a link in a new window if it is expected that the user will need to return to the page he or she left off on. If you are doing simply so the user doesn't leave your site, this can be annoying.

------------------
    IMHO,
    Westmich
    Your opportunity on the web is now!
    westmichiganweb.com

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by westmich:
    I generally open a link in a new window if it is expected that the user will need to return to the page he or she left off on. If you are doing simply so the user doesn't leave your site, this can be annoying.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That can be accomplished by the back-button of your browser too.

Sometimes you even can't notice if a site has opened a new browser window and the negative aspect is that it disables the use of back-button.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most sites have similar policies regarding this...IE: usually I can tell that the link I'm about to click will open up in a new window...I think it's appropriate for links to other sites that lead away from yours, or for banner ads, and MAYBE one or two other things...but I'd say generally the only links that should open in new windows are ones that lead away from your site, if even always that.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Under Construction!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>That can be accomplished by the back-button of your browser too<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes, that is true. However, a good example is SitePoint (this site).

When you're reviewing a web site, the link opens a new window. You then have the ability to view and navigate as many pages as needed. Once you've seen the site and are ready to review it, you simply close the window and you are back at SitePoint, ready to write your review.

On the other hand, when you're surfing SitePoint, the links keep you in the same window, even the ones that lead to other sites.

This example, SitePoint, is what I had in mind in my earlier post.

------------------
    IMHO,
    Westmich
    Your opportunity on the web is now!
    westmichiganweb.com