SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Am I losing my mind? (random element spacing)

Maybe I've lost my mind. Maybe I've been doing this too long and I'm just missing something obvious, but for the love of all that is holy, could someone tell me why the images surrounding the <div /> blocks on the following page leave random white space between themselves and the <div /> blocks?! The page validates. I have stripped out everything I can think of that could cause a problem. I have renamed CSS declarations, image names, everything. Pretty soon I'm just going to assume I've completely lost my mind and go move to the mountains or something.

"complex": http://binjured.com/sp/wtf.html
    "simple": http://binjured.com/sp/wtf2.html
    No Doctype: http://binjured.com/sp/nowtf.html

WHY?!

Edit: It's worth noting that the whole "No DOCTYPE fixes it" thing only seems to apply to Firefox and Opera. I don't know why. Someone kill me.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because the browser will use quircks mode if you don't use a doctype?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir2
    Because the browser will use quircks mode if you don't use a doctype?
    Okay, if that's so, what on earth is "quirky" about the page? It really doesn't get any simpler than that, as far as HTML/CSS goes. I can even get rid of the IDs for "menu" and "find" and it does the exact same thing, minus borders and stuff.

Edit2: I've since changed the title / op a bit so that it suggests this isn't a doctype problem or something.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm at the library right now, but I can tell just from your code that while what you are trying to do CAN be done, you are over-thinking the solution a bit.

Can you wait until I get home (in about 90 minutes) to go through my code library and pull up the code you need to be using?

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Who, me? I'm a browser junkie, not a PC junkie .

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz
    I'm at the library right now, but I can tell just from your code that while what you are trying to do CAN be done, you are over-thinking the solution a bit.

Can you wait until I get home (in about 90 minutes) to go through my code library and pull up the code you need to be using?
    Sure, I've stopped working on it at this point because I'm about to go insane. They're just a couple of your average rounded corner boxes, I know there are 101 ways to achieve the result, especially when only the height needs to be fluid, I just went with what I thought was the one requiring the least effort :P

If I cared a whole lot about just making a solution I would have switched to div background images or something by now, it just makes no sense whatsoever that the images are gaining this phantom spacing.

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binjured
    I've stopped working on it at this point because I'm about to go insane. They're just a couple of your average rounded corner boxes, I know there are 101 ways to achieve the result, especially when only the height needs to be fluid, I just went with what I thought was the one requiring the least effort.
    These are the three methods I would suggest for creating rounded corner boxes (depending on the requirements I would pick the proper technique) - they are from CSS Mastery.

1 , 2, 3

Hack the code and you will be on your way.

Let me know when you are done with the examples so I can take down the code.