SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: form to fax

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a script that takes the form infomation and emails a copy to one email address, but also faxes the information to a fax machine. If this is not possilbe to do without something like jfax.com, I will still take suggestions/recomendations on how to do it with a serivce like that. Sorry about all the spelling errors!

-Steve Klebanow www.email.ky

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone help please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C'mon, give it more than a day!

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Under Construction!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok... I have been thinking about this in my latest fits of delirium (been sick for the last 3 days). I did a search for sendfax.pl but the company that created that program has disappeared. There is an ASP component that allows you to do this and its called FAXASP. It requires that you use the VisionLab network to use it. You can find out about it at http://www.visionlab.com/. You could also use jfax.com and your own proprietary script. Both of these services will cost you money though and depending on how you market it to your company/customers that can be disastrous.

You could write a simple script to feed the information into a command line fax program (UNIX or DOS) but if the fax program and modem are busy then you could lose data. Another option would be to write the fax to a database and have the database feed the info to the fax program.

I am going to use a combination of MS-Exchange and MS-SQL Server in this example (because that is what I know). In T-SQL (built programming language in SQL Server) there is a function called Sendmail. You could use a script (ASP, PHP, PERL) to write to a table in the server. It would contain at the minimum Who the fax is to, Email Address, Fax Number, # of Pages, Content. You could place a trigger on this function that when the data is written to the table it is fed into the sendmail function. Sendmail will then write that mail to the outbox in MS-Exchange which will then either fax it, email it, or both depending on which fields are filled in. Once the information is sent, it is copied into a "Sent Table" and deleted from the outgoing table. This enables you to retrieve the information for later use or resending if needed. You could use Exchange to store sent data also but it won't have the indexing and querying capabilities of SQL Server.

This is very high level and would require quite a bit of code to fill it all out. Also I am sure other quality SQL DBMSes and mail programs could do the same thing.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!